I'd guess the vertical.

The engine change point is for the longer tube. Perhaps the lack of later change point to the swept back one is the subject of 'while stocks last' rather than a definite change point. My TR 2 © TS5297 with (e) TS5676FR had the vertical.

See service bulletins for 1954 following.

Cheers

Peter W

PS PDF files now rather than the ghastly tiff.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

It is merely an extension to the bottom of the original tube.

Later the block changed too as an internal baffle was cast where the tube pokes in.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi All

Thanks for the responses so far.

Attached are photos of the two different vents I have.

I am inclined to think that the straighter one is correct for my car going from photos I have seen, although I think either would fit.

The added baffle mentioned in the spares book at TS972E is built into the top tight bend of both of these and is hidden within.

An earlier one without the baffle would be very rare (and undesirable?) and as I have never owned such an early car, I cannot see how I could have one.

Anybody else have any thoughts, just so that I can keep the correct one.

post-3483-0-10876300-1391117702_thumb.jpgpost-3483-0-20409600-1391117737_thumb.jpg

Thanks Simon

post-3483-0-10876300-1391117702_thumb.jpg

post-3483-0-20409600-1391117737_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for the enlightment.

I'd like to mention something that happened with my 122S Volvo. I built a breather tube "to the road" once and made it a trifle too long. This elicited a sort of "whistle" effect in the tube and the draft under the car aspirated all the engine oil in 5 minutes. I saw the oil pressure gauge falter and killed the engine immediately. Checking the dipstick: engine was empty.

So beware of dimensions.

Badfrog

The breather pipe was modified at engine TS972E to minimise oil loss under competition conditions. At the same time a diaphragm seal was added to the fuel pump to stop oil escaping on sharp right hand corners.

Improvements arising from feedback from early TR2 racers.

Viv

Hi,

I'd like to mention something that happened with my 122S Volvo. I built a breather tube "to the road" once and made it a trifle too long. This elicited a sort of "whistle" effect in the tube and the draft under the car aspirated all the engine oil in 5 minutes. I saw the oil pressure gauge falter and killed the engine immediately. Checking the dipstick: engine was empty.

So beware of dimensions.

Badfrog

I believe the solution to this is to cut the bottom of the pipe at 45 degrees, with the opening facing the rear of the car (as with the original TR breather pipes). Should be fine as long as you don't reverse at more than 70mph ;)

Hi,

So beware of dimensions.

Badfrog

One way of finding your way back home. Hansel and Gretel recommend using breadcrumbs instead - cheaper too.

Hi,

So beware of dimensions.

Badfrog

That's the issue that bulletin pages 19 and 20 were addressing.