Thanks for all the advice about repairing my sender, checked it all out and the meter was giving out the correct readings. So to replace the gauge, the feed appeared to become detached, you can see the male spade connector hanging free, easy, I thought, all I need to do is find its female counterpart, connect up and wait for the rain to stop. Alas no sign of the said female spade connector, I checked out the wiring diagram and found that it should be feeding off the wiper switch...no sign.. I followed, best I could, each wire through the spaghetti but could find no trace.......any ideas

post-3037-0-28605000-1390163577_thumb.jpg

post-3037-0-28605000-1390163577_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I had problems with my fuel gauge / sender and in the end I took the whole lot out and assembled it on the bench according to the manual, made sure it was working and calibrated it, before re-installing it.

That way, you know it works and what you are trying to achieve in terms of connections and power. If you are minus a live feed to the back of the meter, it is a simple enough thing to arrange from the wiper switch or the light switch or the ignition.

Rgds Ian

Just a thought - the guage need three electrical connections switched (by ingition switch) 12Volts, the feed from sender to guage, & a good ground to chassis.

You may be missing the ground ?

I did the same as above - set the whole thing up off the car, where you can swing the float through its full movement, and if necessary adjust the guage to match.

the adjustment is fiddly, but quite easy - you have to slacken off the nuts holding the two coils, & minutly move them in, or out to get the correct readings.

More details available if you need them !

Bob.

Keith

Yes - the guage itself needs a good earth connection to the body of the guage. This isn't shown on any diagrams I have seen, but it is definitely needed.

Also - i've attached a snip from the wiring diagram I used... which shows one connection to the guage from the sender unit and a connection also from the fuse box to the guage... but no sign of a connection from the wiper switch (which is actually a switched earth).

Finally - the site linked below has a heap of info on fuel guages of the type used in TRs.. more info than you might need, but good to keep for reference.

http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/fg_05.htm#fg_diag

Malcolm

post-11403-0-73119800-1390225176_thumb.jpg

post-11403-0-73119800-1390225176_thumb.jpg

Thats not actually a correct wiring diagram for a TR3a as there is usually a split green to the either ring terminal or lucar connector on the fuel gauge and then out to the wiper switch. The earths are usually a string of black wire with ring terminals that go from the earth post on the back of the gauge panel to each instrument mounting bracket under one of the knurled nuts.

Stuart.

Menno - your wiring diagram looks like it shows the same connections to the fuel guage as my diagram...

Either way - I connected my old guage to my new sender and fuse box as shown on both diagrams, added a connection from the guage body to ground and Bob was most certainly your Auntie's whatsit.