TR Gearbox - what's this?

Old trick and a good one,inside there should be a fibre and flat washer,the aim was to stop oil dripping when stationary

Thus allowing oil to flow back over the chassis when driving, and keeping rust at bay.

Why waste good oil.

Well thank you very much, gents. I particularly like the idea of spreading the oil around as a preservative. I saw something recently that TR6s don't leak oil, they are simply marking their territory. I rather like that - - - - - except on my drive!

One of my objectives is to reduce the 'territory marking' and have noticed what looks like another source, shown in the photo as a plate between the exhaust and the speedo angle drive. This is called I believe a 'sump plate' and is below the overdrive unit. According to the various manuals and catalogues, there is a gasket associated with this plate. I assume that to replace this, I need to drain the gearbox first, using the drain plug next to the plate. Is that right?

I saw something recently that TR6s don't leak oil, they are simply marking their territory. I rather like that - - - - - except on my drive!

Now you can sing along with the rest of us:

http://www.snic-braaapp.org/media/Spinal%20Tappets%20-%20While%20My%20TR%20Gently%20Leaks.mp3

Source: http://www.snic-braaapp.org/tappetstry.htm

Hi Pierre,

Before you go removing bits and pieces make sure the the oil is not coming from the gearbox selector oil seals, they are well know for this.

See this previous chat about it:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/32298-oil-drips-from-engine-overdrive-and-diff/?hl=%2Bselector+%2Bseal&do=findComment&comment=238181

Cheers

Tony

Well thank you again gents, for the informative responses. Basically, it looks as though I need to spend more time lying underneath it before committing to any work. At least I now have a much better idea of where to start looking.

Peter: that song is just brilliant! The other stuff on that website is just great as well - it's clear some people have just too much time on their hands to be able to prepare all that stuff.

Currently waiting for an angle drive and washer to sort out a non-functioning speedo (meter and cable OK) and hope to sort it out without dropping the exhaust or messing about with the carpets, etc. Then the steering gaiter . . . . .

Very appropriate song - brilliant - just resealing the diff, by the way cement dust is better than "kitty litter"

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm, welcome to the forum.

Maybe 'cement dust' wouldn't rhyme !

I cured a diff nose leak by always parking facing uphill.

Peter

• 11 months later...