TR4 Racing axles

As I understand it the TR4 axle has a shaped collar where the bearing is located and this acts as a stress riser and they can break, the TR4A axle is a smooth steel rod with a collar which is shrunk on. There for no stress riser and no (or less) breakages.

If someknow better please do tell

Michael

As I understand it the TR4 axle has a shaped collar where the bearing is located and this acts as a stress riser and they can break, the TR4A axle is a smooth steel rod with a collar which is shrunk on. There for no stress riser and no (or less) breakages.

If someknow better please do tell

Michael

You are perfectly right.

Unfortunately the axle normally don't break at the bearing zone. So they did better but at the wrong place.

Cheers

Chris

I checked my left axle for cracks.

Started at 13:30 and finished work at 15:10, incl. installing new brake shoes.

Axle is fine. No cracks for the moment.

BTW...I run the older version of shafts. My statement that I use TR4a shaft is not true I'm afraid.

Edited by MadMarx

What happened to the american cars which made them create the Southwick conversion anad what happened to the Red Baron Racing that forced them to make new hubs and now shafts as well?

Yes, hub falls off and rolling away together with the tire. Corner workers needs to collect it for you.

Southwick: Very good but not plug and play. Ends of the axle tubes getting cut off and some Ford bearings are welded in place.

Red Baron: Didn't see them yet. If they are of standard design then a better material might extend their life but not for ever I "suppose". As I said, didn't see them yet.

So there are many solutions out there and I'm doing my own one to fit my needs.

And maybe it will come out something usable as the split seal stuff.

Edited by MadMarx

Well, seems a wide open question then. Could it be a problem of harmonics linked to the length/diameter ratio?

Badffrog

No.

It is just a question of load, diameter and woodruff key size which rises the stress too high which reduces the durability over time.

Cheers

Chris

Spined shaft and hub would spread the load better, but more expensive to make?

Michael

I'm going to create a splined version and maybe with a ball bearing instead of a roller bearing.

My information was that the BPA axles were the result of failures to Aston Martin axles who had new axles designed stronger for there cars,this info was then used on our axles to good effect as so far i have heard of no further failures to these.

It was good to hear that the price was less than i was told,may be they included fitting.

ROY

• 3 weeks later...

Mine are standard half shafts - been in there 25 years with me and a few more with the person before. Raced on and off over that period. Never had and issue, and hardly ever been apart. Though just had one pulled last weekend pre-mot, as oil seal had gone and leaking oil onto drums. Place that do the more difficult stuff for my cars pulled shaft (we were never going to undo the big nut!), did the seal and popped all back in, replaced diff gasket and filled it up. Should be good for plenty more years abuse ;)

These daft prices for supposedly uprated ones - not sure I get that. Not sure there are many 4 pots solid axle TR's with more poke than mine and never an issue.....

Jellison,

Good to hear that you and your previous owners never had a problem,

Like all these situations it depends who you listen to, personally I have seen a TR4 turn over after hub/axle failure, and having built a (for me) very expensive TR4 I don't want to fall over in a corner cos my axle/hub has broken.

At present taking the engine/box out to upgrade the 3/4 syncro hub so will be out when it is all together

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Jellison,

Good to hear that you and your previous owners never had a problem,

Like all these situations it depends who you listen to, personally I have seen a TR4 turn over after hub/axle failure, and having built a (for me) very expensive TR4 I don't want to fall over in a corner cos my axle/hub has broken.

At present taking the engine/box out to upgrade the 3/4 syncro hub so will be out when it is all together

Michael

That makes sense for a 4a / 5 or 6 but not for a live axle car.

Maybe I am just a very careful driver! :)