Power Steering

Hi Terry,

Welcome to the forum!

I have no experience with the electrical systems but they certainly seem to be in favour - either home made systems using a Vauxhall Corsa or MGF system or something more off the peg from one of the dealers.

One thing worth saying is that an original manual rack which is well serviced along with the top and bottom swivels on the front legs is really not hard to use, you don't have to be Charles Atlas to park the car!

Somebody will pipe up shortly with their experiences.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Terry,

I have converted two of my 7s to MGF power steering. both are very good. The low speed handling and feedback are quit acceptable.

Even better, the parts cost around £70.00, you will need a small lathe and a pedestal drill for the machining and a Mig welder.

the only difficulty is that the guy who was making the interface to make it all work has disappeared, but if enough people want to do the conversion I will reverse engineer the unit & make them myself.

If I can workout how to put you pictures on this forum I will post some.

Regards

Graham.

Then you need another control box to "wake up" the EPS. In the original application, the engine management provided the right signals. Basically, there are two; one shows the engine is running (so you don't drain the battery just pulling on the wheel with the engine off) and the other is the road speed to set the amount of assistance.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ian and Graham for your replies.

Regards to the strut top swivel bearings I already have these fitted to my TR7 V8. It has the original steering rack and done 70 000 miles now. I get the classic steering wheel wobble but there's slight play in the rack so time for a new one.

The reason for the power steering question is the TR8 I have, which has an original hydraulic power rack is just a nicer place to be and without the wobble. Thought I might fit an electric kit to the TR7 V8 if I could get some feed back. There must be someone out there who's driving around in a TR7/TR7 V8 with it fitted.

• 7 months later...

Thanks Ian and Graham for your replies.

Regards to the strut top swivel bearings I already have these fitted to my TR7 V8. It has the original steering rack and done 70 000 miles now. I get the classic steering wheel wobble but there's slight play in the rack so time for a new one.

The reason for the power steering question is the TR8 I have, which has an original hydraulic power rack is just a nicer place to be and without the wobble. Thought I might fit an electric kit to the TR7 V8 if I could get some feed back. There must be someone out there who's driving around in a TR7/TR7 V8 with it fitted.

electric power steering is the way forward