Battery & ignition cut off switch

What's required and where should the main power supply switch be fitted ?

I had a look in the on-line Blue book appendix J and it doesn't even mention it.

I'm building up a track-day special which I'd like to be reasonably competition compliant 'just in case' so I was hoping to find some guidance and a wiring diagram.

Any links please?

Jerry

Cheers.

So what goes on the lucars? Does the ignition go through here? and the diode?

The battery is boot mounted. Is there a preference to mount the switch near the battery, or near the engine / driver?

As near to the battery as possible,as for the other no idea as I have never had problems without that,you should never need to use it fingers crossed even so the last thing I would worry about is a £100 alternator

Edited by ntc

Jerry

See MSA Blue Book, Q19 and K8.

As I understand it and as fitted to my race TR6 and passed at Scrutineering without question for 14 years, you need an internal battery cut off which the driver can reach when belted in.

My main cut off is in a small panel below the central switch panel. I also have a Fire extinguisher T pull switch alongside it.

You also need an external battery cut off and fire extinguisher pull switch both operable by the Marshalls in the event of the driver being unconscious as a result of an incident.

My external cut off is no more sophisticated than a pull T handle connected by wire to the main cut off switch but it works and is acceptable to the MSA.

The external pull switch should be either at base of windscreen or below rear window. Mine is in the front scuttle near base of windscreen frame mount on drivers side. For a TR4, with battery in boot, best position is in rear deck behind rear window. I'm aware of a number of TR4 race cars which use this location which is acceptable to the MSA.

If you aren't sure you could contact the MSA. Don't know what your preparation programme is but if you are going to the Race Retro show at Stoneleigh on 22/23rd Feb they will have a stand there. You will probably be able to see several different cars there on show with examples fitted. TR Enterprises will almost definitely have a stand with race/rally cars on it. If you cant wait that long ring TR Ent and speak to Simon Watson for advice.

Hope this helps.

If you want to discuss, PM me.

Dave McD

Agreed Dave - spot on. On XXD the actual switch is dash mounted - within reach when belted in - with a cable pull below the screen on drivers side - you do need to be careful with the run of the cable to ensure no sharp kinks etc which could interfere with it's operation. My battery is in the boot, and this should not cause any problem provided that all is properly wired. Be sure that any switch is a "kill" switch - not just a battery isolator Good luck and have fun!!!!

Jerry

See MSA Blue Book, Q19 and K8.

Dave McD

To amplify Dave's advice, Para Q. 19.11.1 et seq.

It is also worth noting the preceding para on a FUEL cut off. In my experience, a switch controlling an electric fule pump is deemed adequate.

AND K.8.1 et seq.

And here is how to wire the switch.

JOhn

post-535-0-06360000-1390428375_thumb.jpg

post-535-0-06360000-1390428375_thumb.jpg