Improving Bonnet fit

Hi

Ever since I've owned my 1972 TR6, its bonnect gap to the outer front wings has never been good.

At the front the passenger side gap opens up to about 3/4" (20mm) and on the drivers side, the bonnet is almost touching the outer wing (no room for the rubber buffer).

So I have started (probaby stupidly) to try to improve the fit.

I can get the bonnet to fit reasonable well against the bulkhead (although on the drivers side the gap side has a tendance open up compared to the other) but I still have the same issue with the wing gaps.

After investigation, the passenger side inner wing looks to have some distortion arround the bonnet hinge so I assume the car may have had some accident repair a some point.

I'm comming to the conclusion that the front of my car is slightly off line compared to the bulkhead and I have tried to check this by mesurement but it hard to do this accuractly.

Does anyone have any suggestion how I can correct this?

Thanks

Paul

Two things to do:

1. make sure you have a method to get the bonnet open if the lock gets jammed shut, this is a risk if you are messing around with the alignment

2. go to a show and look at other cars, you will try hard to find one with a perfect bonnet fit, mostly they seem to be too tight at the front

It is possible to loosen the front mounts where the body meets the chassis and move them a bit.

I have some extra long sash-cramps that work outwards so you can stretch the inner-wings and get a bigger gap.

They work the other way too, but you need the wings off.

The best way to adjust the hood is to remove the grill, loosen all the hood mounting bolts. Then position the hood the best you can with the loosened bolts, and retighten

bolts. Then adjust the hood latch , so as not to bind up on closing.

Good luck

Hi Paul,

I had very similar issues with my 4A.

My major problem was that the near side inner wing was badly distorted causing the hinge to point in the wrong drection :blink:

To satisfy yourself that the bonnet could fit - remove the hinges and the latch. You can now lay the bonnet in its closed position - does it line up?

If it does line up then you need to find out why the hinges distort it.

On my bonnet I was given advice to remove the front wings - this allows the inner wings to be teased into shape.

If you are trying to fit a rectangular bonnet into a parallelgram then it is possible to unbolt the body from the chassis at the front end and pull it over a very small amount.

Perhaps 1/4 would be the max amount of movement.

It may be that the body/chassis are OK but the body at the front above the chassis needs pulling/pushing over (that could be fun).

Roger

Hi, If you can achieve a better bonnet alignment while detached from its hinges as suggested above, then I would suggest

elongating the hinge mounting holes to allow extra movement.

Hopefully your front end is true and wont need any adjustment. You might be lucky and pinch some movement on the outer wings.

Good luck.

keith

Hi All

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Last night is played with it some more but allas when the bonnet is free from its hinges, latch etc, I'm not able to improve the bonnet fit to the wings at the front.

So I started to loosen the up the front body mounting bolts, but it wont budge by hand. My plan for the weekend is to strip the wings off etc and see if I can "persuade" some movement.

I knew I shouldn't have started this, but I will update on progress for interest.

Thanks

Paul

I managed to get the passenger wing off today and the inner wing was clearly bent outwards. I've attached a pic of my attempt to straighten it.

It looks like with a little more effort I should be able to improve the bonnect to wing gaps,

Thanks

Paul

post-1968-0-02804400-1389464290_thumb.jpg

post-1968-0-02804400-1389464290_thumb.jpg

Edited by gloide69
  • 1 year later...