Driving to Switzerland from Calias

Hi All We are taking a trip to Switzerland and would like some ideas where the best routs are We would like to go through Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany on the French border to get to Zurich, An idea would be to drive by the Rhine valley, black forest etc. Ideas on hotels, routes etc. would be great Thanks for your time Mark Winter

Edited by Mark (tenpin)

Mark

Riquewihr in the Alsace is certainly worth a stop at - a stunning and beautiful medieval town amongst the vineyards: -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=riquewihr&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=EsDNUsdH1YehBP_WgLgO

Wish to get back there ourselves...

Cheers

Ian

Mark

Did all of those routes over 25 years ago in a motorhome starting from Liverpool and through Oostende.

Took the kids one year to mad King Ludwics castle, well worth the visit to see where Disneyland got it´s ideas from.

When in Zurich, my kids got the best lesson they could ever have got on drug abuse, as walking into town, there they could see them openly giving themselves a fix, and seeing the after effects was enough to put my kids off even before they could start - thank God.

Dave

Mark

Take the drive from Koblenz to Mainz, passing the famous Loreley and the pretty town of Rudesheim.

While in Koblenz go to the confluence of the Rhine and the Mosel at what is called The Deutches Eck, worth seeing.

Dave

mark,

Going that way will take you close by the Nuburgring. To do so in a classic spors car and not take a turn around the circuit would be a lost opportunity, esp. as there are constant rumours of the 'Ring's demise.

Time your trip so as to be at the 'Ring for a public driving session (Touristfahrten). The official 'Ring website lists them here:

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/calendar.php

No need to book, just turn up, and buy a ticket - it was 27 Euros per lap in 2013, £22.50, with a small discount if you buy more.

But first read the Guide: http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/pdf/nurburgringpdf.pdf (Inc. hotels etc.)

Preparing your car for the 'Ring will involve only what you would do for your trip to Switzerland.

Preparing yourself is something else!

JOhn

Hasn't Bernie made a bid for it?

When reading this, you have to remember that Bernie is to be tried in a German court for passing a bribe of £27 million. So appearing as a potential saviour of Germany's oldest and greatest racing circuit can't hinder, can it?

As put by that excellent sports journalist, Richard Williams, today:

"In both the gesture and its complicated backstory, nothing could be more typical of the man. Spread a little smoke. Blur the picture. Make a few people think there might be something good coming their way. Distract the others. Keep their eyes away from the hands moving across the tabletop in this billionaire's game of Find the Lady."

See: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/17/bernie-eccleston-formula-one-motor-racing

John

• 2 weeks later...

Mark,

I don't know how long you are planning to take to get to Zurich, but I'm gonna do it over 5 days in early May.

Unfortunately it's not going to be in the TR, nor the porker. I'm using peddle power to get me through the five countries in five days covering 500 miles so I suspect our route will be driven more by the terrain than potential sights.

And then two weeks recovering before Motorsport at the Palace.

take care Kev