Overdrive problems - or... not

Last year, nearly near the end of the season, I noticed that my overdrive wouldn't engage. A nice job for the winter... not so nice for my wallet, perhaps. So, earlier this morning, I took a deep, sharp breath and started to look for the fault...

When engaging, I didn't hear anything: not the relay, not the solenoid. In most cases, you can hear the relay click. So, before I started working on the solenoid, I focussed on the relay. Since my car has a Dan Masters wiring loom, replacing a relay is very easy: take the Bosch lego-ish brick out and replace it with a new, off the shelf item. No success...

I started a check with my circuit tester and that helped me finding the problem: since there was no click inside the relay, I figured that there was not power going to the relay. The fuse perhaps? No, the pear-shaped switch on the dash was the culprit! The copper contacts inside were dirty. A simple piece of emery paper and some special contact spray did the trick! All's working again. Total time spent? 15 mins.

Moral of the story: start with the simple things first!

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij

The vintage HiFi community seems to like Deoxit D5, especially good on Quad 33 selector switches.

Now you're making me drool - the first music I ever heard in stereo was Pink Floyd's "Atom Heart Mother" on my boss's Quad 33 system. I bought the record but couldn't afford the Quad.

Menno et al.

What was the name of the spray and where do you get it?

Dave

I've used Motip Electrocleaner Contact Spray. Easily available from the various motor factors overhere. I'm sure you can find similar near you in Murcia.

Menno

For over 10 years I use a Contact Spray from a firm Called GRIFFON.

A few years ago I had during an Uk trip the same kind of o/d problems. It worked intermittent, hads to rock the switch around to engage. In my case it was the rubbish NEW relay. :(

Changed it for an NOS and problem solved.

The new one was just badly manufactured, the coil worked fine but the contacts did not close properly, just a question of bending the small arm a little further.

Now you're making me drool - the first music I ever heard in stereo was Pink Floyd's "Atom Heart Mother" on my boss's Quad 33 system. I bought the record but couldn't afford the Quad.

Hi Brian

I still have my Quad 33/303 setup with both FM and AM tuners, but I don´t listen to music much these days, but yes in it´s day it was far better than LEAK in my opinion, and some of the other well known names as well.

Dave

Dave Larnder, on 15 Jan 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

.......I still have my Quad 33/303 setup with both FM and AM tuners, but I don´t listen to music much these days, but yes in it´s day it was far better than LEAK in my opinion, and some of the other well known names as well.

You realise how old you are when a grandchild asks what your Thorens record deck is used for and their look of surprise when a big black disc produces a decent sound.

The 33/303 bought in the 1970's still performs well as do the Quad Electrostatics, IMHO their sound quality has not been bettered, but as my hearing is not what it used to be I could be wrong!

Edited by Paul Down