Road Fund Licence

I am sure this will have been aired previously, however can anyone tell me if my 6 is ever likely to be exempt from RFL as things stand presently with VOSA ?

The car was 1st registered on 1st August 1975 reg JEJ 188 P chassis CR62710' engine cr004172he I do not know if the vehicle was manufactured in 76 or some time before.

Any idea's ?

Thanks

Kob

If registered 01-08-1975 I somehow doubt it was built in 1976!!! :P . If you haven't already done so, obtaining a BMIHT trace on your car shall provide you with the build date and original spec etc.

As for RLF (VED as it's now referred to), I believe they may have reintroduced the rolling eligibility once again, though uncertain.

Cheers

Ian

Nope - not rolling - so my January 1974 build is not eligible, (boo hoo) and maybe never will be!

Doesn't stop you enjoying it though!

All the best,

Michael

RFL "Road Tax" was abolished in 1937!

The VED 'Vehicle Excise (Emissions) Duty' disc on the windscreen is really just a polloution tax!

Out of interest what do 'Non Historic' TR6's have to pay annually these days?

My current tax disc expires end of Feb but from April 6 Percy will be exempt (mid 73 model).

Wonder if I'll have to wait till Aug for exemption or if I'll get a refund from April.

My current tax disc expires end of Feb but from April 6 Percy will be exempt (mid 73 model).

Wonder if I'll have to wait till Aug for exemption or if I'll get a refund from April.

Hi Steve,

You could SORN the car for a month or so and tax it after April 6th. Just a thought!

Cheers

Graeme

The current system of VED is a mess. Based on Co2 since 2001?, means a lot of new cars pay little or no tax so the treasury loses out. Cars from 1974 to 2001 pay 2 rates of tax based on engine size, meaning the higher rate of £225.

So, we have our own cars doing a nice convoy on a summers day...you, no tax, you £225, you no tax etc., Instead of free VED, how about a flat rate of say, £100 for every vehicle over 25 years old, on a rolling basis.

Before you all cry in horror, it's a contribution to using the roads and infrastructure (irrelevent of whether the money is spent on them, which we know it isn't). We with classic cars can well afford a nominal sum like that and anyone running a 25 yr old+ car on a daily basis isn't (probably) well off enough to go and buy a Porsche hybrid which pays no tax.

There, a small discussion for a Wednesday....or not

Mike

Hi

yes of course not 76, slip of my typing finger.

I think it is unlikely that my 6 was assembled and left hanging around for 12 months or more, but how do I source a heritage certificate please I may just be lucky and have a 73 vehicle ? Are there any detail tell tales that would indicate a vehicle assembled and left for 2 years unregistered for some reason ?

Many thanks

Kevin

Motor Heritage do not have the build sheet for my 6, but do have the one each side so are able to confirm 2-5 August 1974 build so it was 12 months before the car was 1st registered, I may have to wait a while or indeed for ever to gain tax free status.

The current system of VED is a mess. Based on Co2 since 2001?, means a lot of new cars pay little or no tax so the treasury loses out. Cars from 1974 to 2001 pay 2 rates of tax based on engine size, meaning the higher rate of £225.

So, we have our own cars doing a nice convoy on a summers day...you, no tax, you £225, you no tax etc., Instead of free VED, how about a flat rate of say, £100 for every vehicle over 25 years old, on a rolling basis.

Before you all cry in horror, it's a contribution to using the roads and infrastructure (irrelevent of whether the money is spent on them, which we know it isn't). We with classic cars can well afford a nominal sum like that and anyone running a 25 yr old+ car on a daily basis isn't (probably) well off enough to go and buy a Porsche hybrid which pays no tax.

Mike

Well that certainly shut everyone up Mike!

My own 6 is duty free, thankfully.

When walking into the local post office to renew I have a positive spring in my step!

I do not, however, when parting with £125 for my VW Polo 1200cc 3 cylinder puddle jumper that would not pull the skin off the proverbial rice pudding!

I for one would not fancy making any change to the duty free status, selfish? Almost certainly, but that's human nature, isn't it?

Winston

Picking up my free road fund license is one of my favourite times of the year. :-)

I have said this before but although my car is exempt, I regard this as a mixed blessing. It's only a question of time before it's decided to restrict usage of exempt vehicles on spurious environmental grounds. Protests will be met with; "Well no pay means no say!"

Nope - not rolling - so my January 1974 build is not eligible, (boo hoo) and maybe never will be!

Doesn't stop you enjoying it though!

All the best,

Michael

Michael, not so fast yours is not yet but my 73 is from april, so you may only have to wait another 15 months ;)

Ah...but the roads are funded by every citizen that pays Council Tax and /or Income Tax !

They are to a degree,and if all the tax we pay for V.E.D was only used on the roads we would have the best road surface in the word, but we all know that the majority of the tax we pay is to pay for our bursting at the seems welfare budget :(

Michael, not so fast yours is not yet but my 73 is from april, so you may only have to wait another 15 months ;)

I like your positive attitude! Anyway, I can live in hope - at the moment I never get to drive it, (3 children under 5 is my poor excuse), can't SORN it as it is in a council lock up and they won't cover any liability if the car is SORN. So in pounds per mile - I am one of the highest road tax payers in the country!

Still, my 4 year old son is getting interested now, so more chance of driving it this year with any luck!

All the best,

Michael

Mike

Interesting approach Mike, so here's another thought.

I have 3 cars a motorbike & a push bike but

I only ever use one of them at a time.

On that basis, I propose a system where I pay one fifth of the total annual road tax for all five.

Seems reasonable, don't you think?? :-)

can't SORN it as it is in a council lock up and they won't cover any liability if the car is SORN.

Why would the council have any liability anyway?

That's why we buy insurance. If it's not on the road, no reason it can't be on SORN - or am I missing something?

Jerry

Why would the council have any liability anyway?

That's why we buy insurance. If it's not on the road, no reason it can't be on SORN - or am I missing something?

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I agree with you in principle - but those are the conditions that the council insist on - and having had them carry out 2 garage door repairs and one garage roof repair after attempted break ins I'm not going to argue with them at the moment!

Regards,

Michael

Apparently VED raised 5.9 Billion in 2012...but 7.9 Billion was spent on the roads in 2012. (DfT figures)

So VED alone would not give us... "The best road surfaces in the World" Clarkey! :rolleyes:

Apparently VED raised 5.9 Billion in 2012...but 7.9 Billion was spent on the roads in 2012. (DfT figures)

So VED alone would not give us... "The best road surfaces in the World" Clarkey! :rolleyes:

WOW Denis I am surprised :rolleyes:

Or is it just more Spin from those oh so honest governmental People ;)

Aaaahh, statistics!! Of that 7.9 only £3.2 Billion spent on road maintenance and £58 billion total tax collected from road users. ;)

http://www.roadusers.org.uk/chapters/infrastructure-investments/

Cheers

Graeme