Hi all.Bodytub is being prepared for removal from chassis prior to blasting and i was wondering if any of you have used or own a rotisserie/tilter to carry out bodywork.Any of you fabricated your own so i could have some dimensions/drawings.

Cheers

Nige

I have a TR3a and I made a cage out of 3 x 2 timber that bolted to the floor through the normal chassis fixings. OI used pipe insulation foam to ease the pressure of the wood frame on the body shell and bolted a set of Machine Mart castors to it so that I could move it around. To turn it, I just lifted it on one side and rolled it - no problems, it wasn't that heavy.

I can dig out some photos if you want.

Rgds Ian

Hi Nige

When I removed my rusty oily body shell tub from the chassis I just put down three old tyres on the garage floor and tipped it up against one garage wall. My tub was structurally sound though and did not need any braces across the door apertures. All external panels eg wings , bootlid, bonnet etc having been removed previously.

I had a happy month of evening removing all the rubbish , mainly Texan sand and oil which had helped preserve it.

The tub then went to the grit blaster and came back with a rough coat of etch primer. I tipped the tub up on its side on tyres as before and added more under coats to the underneath and inside of the tub leaving all othe visible panels, eg outer ones like the tail , scuttle, and under bonnet. Areas for proper priming by the coachworks.

The tub is not that heavy. And can be manhandled by one person but only if its structurally sound. If you have poor floors and sills these will demand a quite different approach involving bracing across to the cockpit and doors .

Hope this helps

BillG @ NB

Hi Nige

When I removed my rusty oily body shell tub from the chassis I just put down three old tyres on the garage floor and tipped it up against one garage wall. My tub was structurally sound though and did not need any braces across the door apertures. All external panels eg wings , bootlid, bonnet etc having been removed previously.

I had a happy month of evening removing all the rubbish , mainly Texan sand and oil which had helped preserve it.

The tub then went to the grit blaster and came back with a rough coat of etch primer. I tipped the tub up on its side on tyres as before and added more under coats to the underneath and inside of the tub leaving all othe visible panels, eg outer ones like the tail , scuttle, and under bonnet. Areas for proper priming by the coachworks.

The tub is not that heavy. And can be manhandled by one person but only if its structurally sound. If you have poor floors and sills these will demand a quite different approach involving bracing across to the cockpit and doors .

Hope this helps

BillG @ NB