My TR5 runs on Revington uprated springs (400ib/in front and 450 rear)and AVO adjustable shock absorbers all round, and suspension is fully polybushed. However, even with dampers at their softest setting, whilst the handling is excellent and very precise, the ride is rather too hard for my liking, especially on our wonderful local country roads ! My inclination to improve comfort is to switch back to standard springs - does anybody out there agree or have a better idea ? Be grateful for any tips - thanks, Matthew

My TR3 ran on uprated front and rear springs with the Integrated roll bars front and rear as your does.

I changed them for standard springs, and the car was then great for normal road use. An expensive excercise is this "improvement" lark. ST did know what they were doing I found.

The good thing about it is, that the Revington stuff sells pretty easily once removed.

In my opinion all this uprated nonsense would be better aimed at the racing fraternity.

Same here, ended up with something that on smooth roads handled with the precision of a Go Kart, but was backbreaking over sleeping cops and pot holes etc, so went back to near standard spring rates and ride height, but kept the poly bushes and best of all was fitting Koni telescopics front and rear set fairly near the lowest setting. Cheers Rob

Hi mathew, i drive one on quite old and original type bushes and springs,with 165`s and like to drive quite hard too. the ride is great and comfortable with decent roadholding.

i am also rebuilding one and the only poly bushes are on the trailing arms and i have also fitted a front anti roll bar, slight improvements to the original build.

Its all about personal preference and how we like to drive our cars.

Cheers,

Conrad.

My TR3 ran on uprated front and rear springs with the Integrated roll bars front and rear as your does.

I changed them for standard springs, and the car was then great for normal road use. An expensive excercise is this "improvement" lark. ST did know what they were doing I found.

The good thing about it is, that the Revington stuff sells pretty easily once removed.

In my opinion all this uprated nonsense would be better aimed at the racing fraternity.

Exactly my point regarding uprated brakes with 4 pot pistons, vented discs and competition pad equipment on road cars.

Mick Richards

I have similar spring rates on mine and the ride is fine. If you revert to 'standard' spring rates I'm sure you will find it very soft.

You might like to try different dampers first - koni for preference.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Matthew, I run 25% uprated and lowered but with standard shocks all round. I got this tip from Mark Pattinson at Enginuity about 18 years ago. I also have TR shop poly bushes.

I think the Moss Triumphtune springs are similar to Revingtons. It might be less expensive and simpler to switch the dampers to standard (incl lever arms rear) and give that a try first.

After my TR6 which had Spax all round and like yours was viciously hard, I found the standard 5 setting far too soft and it leaned horribly in bends. The way I have it now suits me well.

Of course this is a very personal thing. If you have Towergate insurance you can drive any other Towergate insured member's car. I'd suggest going to your local group and scrounging a drive in other cars making a note of suspension specs. That'll give you an idea of what suits you. If you are near me, you are welcome to have a go in mine (once it's back on the road).