Picked up my first TR6 today!

Hi all

Just picked up my first TR6 today, after an hour drive home, one significant concern, and one minor question:

1. After 45 mins of driving, I was stuck in traffic and the running got really lumpy, and pogo'd down the road, just about got going, and got better when the traffic freed up, seemed a fuel, carb issue, fiddling with the choke helped until I could get up to speed. any idea's??

2. Minor niggle, the car is missing the cubby box lock striker, Rimmer Bros etc seem not to have any, any other options out there??

But looking forward to improved weather to enjoy my purchase

Thanks

Rich

Congratulations on your purchase Rich, excellent choice of car!

Re the rough running, is the car on carbs or PI

Steve

Hi Rich, welcome and congrats.

What year TR6 is this and assuming you are in the UK is this an import or a PI car converted to carbs. If converted what carbs does it have ?.

If you have to pull the choke to get it to run right it sounds like a vacuum leak is making it run lean but give us a bit more info and we can help you diagnose it.

Stan

Yes congratulations Rich.

My first advice is to join the Register and your local group, there is bound to be a fountain of knowledge there.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase, use it when ever you can.

Cheers Mark.

Good Luck with your TR6

When we bought our 1st TR6 last June-we had a 3 hr journey to get home- Rick stopped -it was only running on 5 cylinders - The rotor arm was superglued - that was the first error we noticed - then he noticed 2 of the 6 leads were on wrong - but apart from that we managed to get home & with lots more PI problems it now runs well _ we call it the Growler - with acceleration it certainly makes a lovely sound - Enjoy it

Hi Rich,

Welcome to the Forum and TR6 motoring a good choice; I've had three and sold my last a few months ago - I can't help with the carb problem my 6s were all on Injection. But try whipping the plugs out and having a look, they will usually tell the state of the mixture and how the engine is running and is a good place to start.

Enjoy your 6 when you get it running right and this forum holds a wealth of information, you only have to ask - but it's always worth using the Search facility first as any problem you may have will not be unique to your car, so has probably been discussed and resolved before.

As for parts, try Moss: http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/

Run it for a few years, than trade up to a sidescreen car (TR2/3/3A/3B)...................only kidding, or am I? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Hi Rich,

Welcome to the TR Forum and I'm sure you'll enjoy the TR once you get the odd gremlin sorted...

I agree with the ideas above to check out:

Has the car been in regular use?

if you pulled the choke out on the SU's and that made it better, than does suggest lean fuel for some reason.

That said is there any reason that you discount an issue with the ignition system? Does it have electronic ignition fitted yet instead of points? (if not I can suggest that's a good upgrade to consider) but in general with older cars I'd say its worth checking over the ignition system first as on the balance of probabilities a problem could be there.

If the ignition checks out all OK, then it could just simply be debris needing cleaning out from the SU carbs. From memory they just have 3 screws to remove the float bowls carefully and you can then assess how much rubbish has collected in the bottom of the float bowls.

I note your forumname is TR6 wilts. whereabouts are you? I'm in wilts too, near Westbury, so if you're not too far away drop me a PM (PM -private message, if your not aware) and I may be able to help...

regards,

James,

Edited by jamesStag

Thanks Guy's forgot to mention the key element-- running on SU's converted from PI by previous owner

How many, 2 or 3 and what type?

Thanks all for your pointers this will keep me busy, Brown book??

Here you go an original copy: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-TR6-P1-WORKSHOP-MANUAL-SUPPLEMENT-pub-part-no-545090-1st-EDITION-/131081493122?hash=item1e8510da82 - also known as the 'Brown Bible'.

Also a reprint, in case someone out bids you! - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR5-250-TR6-Owners-Workshop-Manual-by-Brooklands-Books-Ltd-/190968209136?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item2c76979ef0

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

If you have got SU's then worth getting a service book from Burlen Systems or the Haynes SU manual as well. As TR6's were never factory fitted with SU's you won't find the relevent info in the 'Brown bible'.

Cheers

Mike

If you have got SU's then worth getting a service book from Burlen Systems or the Haynes SU manual as well. As TR6's were never factory fitted with SU's you won't find the relevent info in the 'Brown bible'.

This ink might be useful: http://www.teglerizer.com/sucarbs/techtip6.htm

Cheers

Andrew

Hi I had the same problem on SU,s and pulling the choke out helped, I found that one of the pistons was not closing properly due to the linkage being slightly off set this together with lack of lubrication in the dash pot [NTC comment ]was enough to cause it to run slightly rich. It would be wise to reset the SU,s from the beginning and put some fresh fuel in the tank. I use the Haynes manual for SU carbs very good and easy to follow. Andy.

Well, worked on the new purchase today, found the door locks had seized so ordered some more..

Noticed that the bottom of the glass bowl on the fuel pressure regulator was full of gunk, but it had no filter element??

So removed it then promptly dropped it, aghh..

So ordering another.

One question as said the car is a conversion to carbs from Pi, but notice that the drive for the now removed metering pump unit is left exposed, is this normal, or should it have a blanking plate / cover?