Hi,

In the process of restoration of my TR2, we have removed the boot floor to replace it with a fresh one (and a later raised type to have a bit more room in the wheel compartment).

When i look at the space around the spare wheel pan, I wonder if there's someone who has redesigned the pan or the whole boot ?

If you would fit a more square pan, it'll give more that 20 litres of extra space.

IMG_2808.JPG

You could even leave out the boot floor for the most (ok, you have to weld sheet metal from the sides of the pan to the wheelarches) and cover it like a tr4 boot ?

Boot1_zps740b2b26.jpg

Very curious if we are the first with this odd brainfart ?

Edited by EdwinTiben

I have a friend who for many years has owned his TRuck. A TR3A with the boot modified all the way to a pickup truck box. He didn't create it but he gets a kick out of having it.

Me, I simply take my Toyota pickup when I need to carry bigger or more stuff...

Hi Edwin when i was restoring my 2 a long time ago i was told (Paul UVC166) about a mod that allowed more capacity in boot and also no restriction to spare wheel size, it was a mod that racetorations were doing to some customers resto jobs so I went over and had a look at one of these and decided it was a no lose mod i could do as mine had'nt been painted,so removed the newly fitted boot floor with a nibbler about 1/2 inch in from the spare wheel well then turned the 1/2 lip down and dollyed it flush easy peesy its left me with easily accesable spare wheel and lots of room to pack spares and tools,also the spare wheel cover can be fixed and non removable,so go for it nowt to lose.

Happy new year to all.

Hi Edwin when i was restoring my 2 a long time ago i was told (Paul UVC166) about a mod that allowed more capacity in boot and also no restriction to spare wheel size, it was a mod that racetorations were doing to some customers resto jobs so I went over and had a look at one of these and decided it was a no lose mod i could do as mine had'nt been painted,so removed the newly fitted boot floor with a nibbler about 1/2 inch in from the spare wheel well then turned the 1/2 lip down and dollyed it flush easy peesy its left me with easily accesable spare wheel and lots of room to pack spares and tools,also the spare wheel cover can be fixed and non removable,so go for it nowt to lose.

Happy new year to all.

Happy new year too!

Have any pics? Like to see result and how fuel tank fits.

Cheers

There's quite a lot of space aft of each rear wheel, alongside the spare wheel compartment. I know it's a TR4, but on 6VC, Neil Revington has created a pair of vertical storage compartments alongside the spare wheel compartment. In one, he is able to accommodate a lightweight trolley jack, standing on its nose. Into the other, he can fit a toolbox. I feel sure that, although the body of a TR2/3 is narrower, a similar modification would be possible.

Ian Cornish

Hi all,

Leaving out the complete boot floor in order to get to the wheel, seems (emotional originality thing..) for me personally a major mod. But the room at the sides ( if you look at my picture above, the right crumbled piece of red sheet metal after the arch) could indeed be 2 extra compartments, one each side.

Original there is a closed box aside of the wheel lid, which i have to cut open to restore some old damage and replacing a cage nut. We could remove this box and replace it with a larger, on top open, box. Minor modification but offers room for extras.

There's quite a lot of space aft of each rear wheel, alongside the spare wheel compartment. I know it's a TR4, but on 6VC, Neil Revington has created a pair of vertical storage compartments alongside the spare wheel compartment. In one, he is able to accommodate a lightweight trolley jack, standing on its nose. Into the other, he can fit a toolbox. I feel sure that, although the body of a TR2/3 is narrower, a similar modification would be possible.

Ian Cornish

That's what I like to read. More weight in the boot to get the TR to really handle like a Porsche.

I'll get my anorak.....

That's what I like to read. More weight in the boot to get the TR to really handle like a Porsche.

I'll get my anorak.....

I don't think that Edwin is planning to haul 'everything but the kitchen sink' in the boot. I think it's a useful upgrade. There are always loose items you want to to store properly; a Continental Kit-ish stash of parts will fit perfectly in the corners of the larger boot.

Just do it!

Menno

Hi All,

Spoken about more boot capacity...

Happy new year - Raymond

uhmm well.. maybe for racing yes, one bridge too far for me :)

will look into the corner compartments.. like that idea without doing too much damage to the original concept of the boot.

I don't think that Edwin is planning to haul 'everything but the kitchen sink' in the boot. I think it's a useful upgrade. There are always loose items you want to to store properly; a Continental Kit-ish stash of parts will fit perfectly in the corners of the larger boot.

Just do it!

Menno

No. i'll use my Herald Estate for that :)

IMG_4183.JPG

What do insurers say about removing all that metal which stiffens the body, and the originality aspect also to consider, shame they did not think of it in production, because had it been an ST evolution we could all do it and not worry, it just seems a big step to carve up such a lovely body!

The ultimate safety mod would be to put a tank in the spare wheel well, filler access problems to solve, and have a much larger boot that has to house the spare wheel!! If I was building a sidescreen rallycar thats what I would do!!

John

What do insurers say about removing all that metal which stiffens the body, and the originality aspect also to consider, shame they did not think of it in production, because had it been an ST evolution we could all do it and not worry, it just seems a big step to carve up such a lovely body!

The ultimate safety mod would be to put a tank in the spare wheel well, filler access problems to solve, and have a much larger boot that has to house the spare wheel!! If I was building a sidescreen rallycar thats what I would do!!

John

Many of Our old cars are build up of bondo, rivets...

I personally dont think that making extra space on the sides would compromise the rigidity of the car,

When designing a rally /race tr i would take out the whole boot like Sidescreens example and replace it with some kind of frame.

• 4 years later...