TR6 Shooting Brake

They did, but only halfway.

The Herald Estate was only put into Vitesse form on special, and most expensive, order. If they had it would have been a Reliant Scimitar before that was thought of.

Silverback wasn't a TR6 either, but it had TR6 race engine.

John.

But I don't think they would of put the Radiator in the Rear.

Edited by TR NIALL

Ouch! You hit on the sore spot there, Niall!

Yes, an experiment too far, eventually corrected after much work to get it to function on track, when it worked fine on road.

PPC has a project in progress, a Reliant 3-wheeler, The Delta Pig, inspired by the Nissan DeltaWing with a turbo and nitrous enhanced engine, whose rad they have placed at the rear, to allow an ENORMOUS intercooler at the front. The project is officially Insane, and I will follow their progress with interest!

See:

John

PS Also see PPC December issue, which features (ahem) the Silverback! J.

Edited by john.r.davies

It may be all of that, but it's not a TR6.................

So is a "Dove" not a TR4? If this was called a GTR6 would it be better.

I thought when I looked at it at Malvern he had missed out by not making it a 2+2,but maybe that wasn't practical or ,indeed,possible,and a sunroof would have been good.Nontheless a very well made and designed piece of work.

It may be all of that, but it's not a TR6.................

So is a "Dove" not a TR4? If this was called a GTR6 would it be better.

I thought when I looked at it at Malvern he had missed out by not making it a 2+2,but maybe that wasn't practical or ,indeed,possible,and a sunroof would have been good.Nontheless a very well made and designed piece of work.

The Dove was real ale and was marketed as such, as opposed to home brew..............I've never said it wasn't well engineered, it's just not a TR6 in my view.

It looks like a TR6 to me. Has all the styling cues of the original.

Imagine a 1970's TR6 brochure offering a convertible (we all know and love), a coupe (hardtop) and Shooting Brake although it would have been called a GTE in 70's speak.

I think it would have sold quite well - after all , Jaguar, MG and the like did well enough out of their variants.

Mike

It looks like a TR6 to me. Has all the styling cues of the original.

Imagine a 1970's TR6 brochure offering a convertible (we all know and love), a coupe (hardtop) and Shooting Brake although it would have been called a GTE in 70's speak.

I think it would have sold quite well - after all , Jaguar, MG and the like did well enough out of their variants.

Mike

And would have beaten the Lancia Beta HPE by a good few years!!!

Cheers

Ian

Evening all,

So where does the "Shooting Brake" name come from for these sports car / estate conversions?

Cheers

Steve

A 'Shooting Brake' was a horse drawn carriage/cart used for transporting the guns and/or the kills on country estate shooting parties. Like most car body designs the terms come from the 19th century carriage trade who then went on to build car bodies.

I have know estate car also as 'Shooting Brakes' since I was a young lad ('60's) as my Dad always referred to them as that having the 3-door Austin/Morris 1100/1300 'Countryman'...

Cheers

Ian

I don't like Doves at all but I think this TR6 (of course it is a 6) is absolutely superb in both build quality and kerb appeal. I'd have one in an instant but then I do like Scimitar GTEs, Lynx Eventer, the Z4 'breadvan' and I rarely take the roof off my MB so I guess there might a trend emerging :D

I have know estate car also as 'Shooting Brakes' since I was a young lad ('60's) as my Dad always referred to them as that having the 3-door Austin/Morris 1100/1300 'Countryman'...

Cheers

Ian

Same here, my mum always called estates by the term shooting brake. Our first was the Morris Traveller which, I guess was also a 'woodie'

Same here, my mum always called estates by the term shooting brake. Our first was the Morris Traveller which, I guess was also a 'woodie'

A 'Half-timbered car' according to Dame Edna.

I saw this when it visited Norway during the European TR tour last year. I was very impressed with the craftsmanship of the car.

So when I look at it as a car type on its own I kinda like it, but it is a leap from the original convertible.

/ vegard

Looks more like a hearse-I hope there was just that one made- spoiles the title TR6

Teeth of the gods! But a lot of you are snobs!

And so conventional, that something out of the ordinary gets vilified.

You may not like the cut of the suit, but admire the workmanship, enjoy the difference!

John

PS But a Morris Countryman was a ridiculous version, a Moggie with few bits of wood tacked down the sides. THAT's not a proper Moggie!

PPS Silverback was called "The Hearse"!

PPPS A "break" was a bare chassis, used to break-in horses to the carriage trade.

Such a vehicle might have planks of wood added to take shooters out onto the moor and estate to hunt game.

When the horseless carriage arrived, a simliar work-horse vehicle might be used for the same purpose, but then got blinged and pimped-up, by coach-builders making rear bodies with seats (egad!) for the gentry, roofs to keep the rain off and rear doors with extra space at the back for guns, game, wicker baskets of food and wine etc. Hence any solid roofed, multi seated, side and rear-doored vehicle. AKA Estate car, same reason, but more for picnics than hunting.

PPPPS ! Sorry, I've duplicated Chris Ragtag!

Edited by john.r.davies

Looks more like a hearse-I hope there was just that one made- spoiles the title TR6

Now there's an idea. Maybe the Club should commission one and rent it out for TR themed funerals. Could be a much needed revenue stream. :ph34r:

Teeth of the gods! But a lot of you are snobs!

And so conventional, that something out of the ordinary gets vilified.

You may not like the cut of the suit, but admire the workmanship, enjoy the difference!

Silverback wasn't a TR6 either..............

Snobs? - I don't think so..............and neither do I don't think anyone has 'vilified' the car John, so stop being dramatic.

Besides, as finely engineered as it may be, I see you agree with the sentiment it's not a TR6...........

Cheers

Andrew

Interesting that it's a German guy who came up with this idea. After all, they (re)designed the TR6 in the first place!

Mike

Hm, interesting subject, in my opinion it is a TR6 as it would have looked like (maybe) if they ever made an estate version, hence it is a TR6 Estate.

As far as I know Triumph made about 100.000 of the TR6 over the years so hardly a rare car, in my opinion it is a worse crime to buy a good TR6 and then leave outside to rot for years, a much more common problem!

In my opinion this car has been modified in a very professional and tasteful way, I doubt Triumph could have done it much better...

Still I hope the 99% of all remaining TR6's remain as original as possible, of course the usual technical modifications most of us do to make the car more user friendly is "allowed" by at least 99% of us?

Edited by TRseks