Engine mount steady brackets

106428 is the steady bracket (one each side of each engine mount). The alignment problem is fixed using shims under the engine mount to raise the engine. Shims are Moss part number 109582 or make your own.

Stan

...Or rubber pads under the radiator if that is too low.... Triumph pt No 601994

Peter

Stan, "I'll fit them the next time the tub comes off". Will that be art of your annual layup?

For what it's worth, TS58023 has them on the engine mounts, TS73117 did not.

Tom

The funny thing is, even after all this discussion and discovery I never did fit the brackets. I found them the other day in a box in the basement. Oh well, a project for next spring. Neither TR got a lot of use or attention this summer due to the screened porch project..

106428 is the steady bracket (one each side of each engine mount). The alignment problem is fixed using shims under the engine mount to raise the engine. Shims are Moss part number 109582 or make your own.

Stan

Thank you Stan

Any idea how many I might need?; or how thick is each one?

Thank you Stan

Any idea how many I might need?; or how thick is each one?

I don't see a dimension stated in any document or any supplier web site Camilo. Probably best to call and ask since each supplier may vary. They are nothing special, just a steel plate with a slot in it so it can slide under the engine mount after backing off the securing bolts.

810-012_1_1.jpg

I don't see a dimension stated in any document or any supplier web site Camilo. Probably best to call and ask since each supplier may vary. They are nothing special, just a steel plate with a slot in it so it can slide under the engine mount after backing off the securing bolts.

810-012_1_1.jpg

From the above, am I to understand that if I am to insert the 109582 to lift the engine, I might just as well get the 106428 to steady the sideways movement of the engine?

Are these original TR3A parts?

From the above, am I to understand that if I am to insert the 109582 to lift the engine, I might just as well get the 106428 to steady the sideways movement of the engine?

Are these original TR3A parts?

We don't know if all cars had the steady brackets or just some cars. They would not do any harm and may do some good in the event that an engine mount starts to go soft or fail.

Stan

Following encouragement on another thread I have just changed my engine mounts with the engine in situ. I confirm that two hands per arm are required to do the job

Rather glad I did it as both had failed, the rubber seemed ok but on one the bottom plate had separated and on t'other the stud had sheared off the top plate.

The heavy TR engine seems to have held everything in place thanks to the famous force of gravity but on going over the yumps it must have been the front water hose that held the engine in place!

They had been in there for 19 years. - worth jacking up the engine just to see if yours have failed.

James

Some good landrover tyres on that.

Ideal tough tyres for gravel I would think.

Hamish, De rigueur for Winter Rallys in the late 1950's ! (That photos is coming up to 60 years ago)

Sorry Camillo, my shorthand for the registration on my car.

Iain

Really fantastic to have such a history with a car.

Well done.

Youll have to share some stories.

Especially for us newbies.

H

They are fitted to my car TS 4178 they are just a failsafe if the rubber breaks

Following encouragement on another thread I have just changed my engine mounts with the engine in situ. I confirm that two hands per arm are required to do the job

Rather glad I did it as both had failed, the rubber seemed ok but on one the bottom plate had separated and on t'other the stud had sheared off the top plate.

The heavy TR engine seems to have held everything in place thanks to the famous force of gravity but on going over the yumps it must have been the front water hose that held the engine in place!

They had been in there for 19 years. - worth jacking up the engine just to see if yours have failed.

James

Where exactly do these steady brackets go, and how many do I need?

In the very bottom left corner you can catch a glimpse of one secured with the same screw that holds the support to the frame, the opposite side is also visible. You need 2 for each support, 4 in total.

http://ijonsson.se/tr2/photo_diary.php?day=motor&folder=motor&id=IMG_2607

Edited by ijonsson