Engine mount steady brackets

I noticed by accident the other day that the engine mounts are supposed to have some little metal brackets on either side. I don't have any and would not have realized they existed if I hadn't spotted them on the Moss engine part diagram (Part # 106428).

Do these actually help ?. I can still get them and they are inexpensive.

Stan

If you have a hand crank and a hole in your radiator, you may find you need these plates to lift the motor mounts so that the crank goes through the rad and engages nicely with the front end of the bolt on the end of the crankshaft.

Hi Don, these are not the shims that go under the engine mount to raise it but small right-angle brackets that are attached by the bolts that secures the engine mount to the chassis. When installed they would serve to prevent lateral movement of the rubber mount. Four brackets, two per engine mount.

Stan

They do show up in the original parts catalogue but no mention of when they were fitted from or to. I have never come across them so far fitted.

Stuart.

Steadying brackets either side of the front engine mounts (and rear gearbox mount) have always been shown in factory spare parts catalogues. They helped steady an engine that was never particularly smooth at tickover, and also limited fore and aft movement of the drive train during gear changes and heavy braking..

Cars without the brackets could be due to human error on the assembly line or temporary lack of supply.

Viv

Edited by vivdownunder

I thought at first we had identified a couple of brackets I have amongst my unidentified 'odd TR bits' but these are different. Any ideas what these are?

DSC00765_zps689188da.jpg

Those are the same brackets Brian. My picture shows them in pairs, one leaning against the other as they would not stand upright on their own.

Stan

Although they are slightly different shapes, I guess they are probably the same part. These would have come from my first (1958) TR3A, but I've no idea why I only have one pair. I will have a look tomorrow to see if there are any fitted to my current car.

Although they are slightly different shapes, I guess they are probably the same part. These would have come from my first (1958) TR3A, but I've no idea why I only have one pair. I will have a look tomorrow to see if there are any fitted to my current car.

Yours are probably original Brian, mine are repros but look functionally adequate. Still a mystery when they were added or discontinued.

Stan

Hi All

The two brackets in BrianC's photo are bolted either side of the rear gearbox mounting.

They have been fitted on every sidescreen car that I have ever removed a gearbox from (20-30? maybe). Not sure about later cars.

I guess they stop excess lateral movement of the rubber mount as suggested for the engine mount.

They are clearly shown on plate K of the TR2-3a parts catologue - 2no required.

As I have never come across them on sidescreen engine mounts, they must be have been only fitted to later cars for some reason.

Hope that helps, Simon Westlake

Thanks Simon - that makes sense and explains why I only have two. They must have got separated from the old car's gearbox mount when it was dismantled. I will be grovelling around that area of the current car soon so it will be interesting to see if that has the brackets (Part no 107895).

The brackets can be identified by the bolt hole size. Engine mount brackets take a 5/16" diameter bolt whereas rear gearbox brackets are drilled for larger 1/2" bolts.

Viv

I'm not following where the two brackets would go on the rear mount. Here's my gearbox mount for reference..

gearboxmount_zps18447452.png

Stan, The rear brackets are fitted on the underside of the rear gearbox mount and are retained by the 1/2" fixing bolts & nuts that attach the gearbox to the rear mount. N.B. If you have the later exhaust mounting bracket 130888 fitted to RHS of the mount you can only fit the extra bracket to the LHS.

FWIW my January 1954 TR2 has them fitted, They have been there since 1972 at least. The engine is a FRA recon unit which begs the question did the factory replace the engine or were they sent out to dealers as an exchange unit.

Perhaps it was factory recon units that had them for some reason judging by the number of cars that have not had them fitted.

I subscribe to the suggestion that they keep the fan from eating the radiator due to forward movement of the entire engine.

I will be retaining them for this reason having had a radiator eaten by a fan blade.

Yes my car, ts4178 has the full compliment of the little beggars, front mounts and gearbox, I suspect boy racers and club Motorsport boys in the 50s and 60s are the main culprits for losing them!!

• 3 years later...

If you have a hand crank and a hole in your radiator, you may find you need these plates to lift the motor mounts so that the crank goes through the rad and engages nicely with the front end of the bolt on the end of the crankshaft.

Hi Don

I have that problem: since reassmebling the car the handle no longer lines up with the crankshaft. I got a bit lost in the thread and cannot decide if you are referring to Moss # http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?search_group=8982&q=106428

Regards

Camilo

Hi Don

I have that problem: since reassmebling the car the handle no longer lines up with the crankshaft. I got a bit lost in the thread and cannot decide if you are referring to Moss # http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?search_group=8982&q=106428

Regards

Camilo

106428 is the steady bracket (one each side of each engine mount). The alignment problem is fixed using shims under the engine mount to raise the engine. Shims are Moss part number 109582 or make your own.

Stan