Squeaky brakes

Hi

Recently I have noticed driving down the freeway a rotating squeak sound coming from the front wheels ( I think ). Decided to replace the wheel bearings. They were fine and did not stop the squeak.

Tapping the brakes, noise stops.

Wheel bearings are good, pad thickness fine and all tolerances ok.

I have read about TR6 squeaking brakes, however these all seem to be when stopping, not coasting.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers rob

Hi Rob,

the next line to 'squeaky brakes' should be 'Baggy TRousers' - an old Madness refrain if my memory serves me.

There couild be a number of things doing it but one of themain one is the pad is just touching the disc and making the pad vibtae slightly.

This then vibrates on the retaining pins.

Make sure the pins aren;t rusty and that the holes in the pads are very free to move.

Roger

Hi Rob,

Had exactly the same problem as you,very annoying , especially when people stared as I drove past due to the noise.

Only stopped when resting my foot on the brake pedal.

Simple solution though, the problem is the front brakes, easily cured by fitting the anti rattle spring clips,as found on e-bay.

Had no problems since

Merry Xmas Dave :D

Edited by cubehopper

Thanks for the ideas. Will try the ant rattle springs first and see how I go.

I could only find one supplier if these on eBay, however in saying that I do find some suppliers will only ship to the uk so don't come up in my global search here in Australia.

You need to check the pin size before ordering anything.

Hi Neil

What do I need to be looking out for with the pin size. If found the same part as Stuart advised from the same supplier. There is no option for pin size and the web site advises this part will fit the 74 TR6.

Looking forward to eradicating this squeak. As cubehopper advised, the noise attacks unwanted looks.

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob,

the pin should fit the calipers if for the correct year.

However not all pads have the correct diameter or profile of the pin hole - hence my suggestion of making sure they are not 'fractionally' tight.

If too tight then the squeak goes but other problems arise.

The pads need to be loose enought to find their own happy medium.

Copperease helps the sliding process but may not be your answer.

The anti-rattle shims cock the pads slightly so that the pads touch the disc on a leading edge and reduces/stops the vibration (not your problem)

The anti-rattle springs should reduce/stop any incidental vibration (as you have described)

Roger

To clarify on the pins, there are two types of calliper fitted to the TR6.

Early cars had imperial ones, latter metric, the pin size changed with this I believe.

Your car should be the later, ie metric, callipers.

To clarify on the pins, there are two types of calliper fitted to the TR6.

Early cars had imperial ones, latter metric, the pin size changed with this I believe.

Your car should be the later, ie metric, callipers.

Correct ;) the ebay listing is incorrect also there are three types fitted :rolleyes:

Edited by ntc