Hi Everyone

I haven't posted here for a while so here goes!

I recently bought a secondhand Clarke 150TE Mig welder off fleabay to help me with my TR250 rebuild. It came with a regulator,and empty gas bottle which I've now exchanged.

I've no experience with these "hobby" welders, so apologies if the following sounds a bit thick.

When I tried to refit the regulator gas started to escape from a pinhole situated about 1cm from the lower lip of the casting. At first I thought this was a fault in the casting, but I've since seen another regulator and it also has a pinhole in the same position. Does this act as a relief valve on the high pressure (gas bottle side) in conjunction with the O ring I can see on the inside of the casting? There is already a removable relief valve on the rear of the casting which I assume is for the low pressure side(welder).

I wondered if the internal O ring seal inside the casting was knackered and allowing the gas to escape. Can you get replacements if this is the case?

The PO has also extended the small white pipe that exits out the back of the welder's casing by using what looks like clear fuel pipe via a metal union. Should the small white pipe go straight into the regulator?

I'm assuming the valve only regulates the gas flow(probably why it's called a regulator-dooh) and does not completely shut it off from the welder. The reason I'm asking is because I'm not sure whether I should leave the regulator fitted to the gas bottle or remove it if I'm not using the welder for an extended period.

Has anyone else had this problem with a regulator.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

I have a clarke 150 but not sure if it is a TE or not.

My regulator is graduated 0 - 6. 0 being fully shut and 6 being fully open.

I would have though that a seal should be in place to stop the gas exiting from the bottle side of the reg.

Machine Mart who market a great deal of Clark stuff have a technical Dept. Contact a local shop for their number, or it may be in their catalogue.

Roger

I always lock off the bottle if I stop for any length of time.

There are two kinds of welding bottles at my supplier. Big fat ones and small skinny ones. Both hold the same but the small ones are higher pressure. Obviously these leak more given a chance.

I have a fixed pre-regulator before the adjustable one. This means I can use either type of cylinder.

Make friends with your local supplier. Mine fixes all these problems and its owned and run by a nice woman.

There are no O-rings that cannot be replaced. You just have trouble buying a small quantity.

Edited by AlanT

Hi

Thanks for the replies gents. I'd come to much the same conclusion about the internal O ring. I've tried to remove it but it's considerably larger diameter wise, than the internal thread inside the casting. I think you're right I'll have to buy a new regulator.

I've looked at the gas pipe coming out of the rear of the welder again and it's definitely on the short side. It would not reach the bottle outlet unless I lower the bottle considerably. Fortunately I built a wheeled bogey for the welder so I can do this.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

The white pipe to clear pipe extension is an accessory that most of the welding factors sell to convert your hobby welder to use the large bottles, it could be that the PO has shortened the extension part.

Have a look at this link:

WWW.machinemart.co.uk/shop/catagories/search/welders-accessories

Cheers

Ian