Two MOT advisories

Hello

Recent MOT gave me two advisories which I'd like to fix.

Off side rear wheel bearing has slight play - can this be adjusted by me, a bit of an amateur?

Play in steering rack inner joints - adjust or replace?

Guidance would be gratefully received

Thanks on anticipation

Keith

Hi Keith,

sometimes the amount of play in older things is acceptable compared to modern engineering.

have you spoken to your local group to see if your garage is TR friendly or is there a more like minded garage the others use.

I'm not saying you should cheat the system but not all garages are up to scratch with older cars.

So back to your items. The hubs are normally regarded as non-adjustable as the two internal bearings are seperated by a 'crush' tube that shouldn;t be re-crushed.

However some members have re-crushed their tubes with gay abandon.

On the back of the hub there are two big thin nuts. Slacken the outer one and tighten the inner - this may effect a cure.

The steering rack can be adjusted but generally speaking getting your professionally sorted or replaced is the easier options.

Roger

I should think you will be able to improve the play in the inner rack end joints.

These have a big ball. a cup, a big nut and some shims.

Unless the ball surface has failed or gone rusty adjustment is worth trying.

Probably can do in situ. Nothing to loose by trying. Just dont make it too tight.

However the MOT man may not be exactly right. This could be the bearing surface between the rack and outside tube.

Or maybe the pinion.

As long as you can get parts there is nothing in a rack beyond a DIY rebuild.

Be very careful in removing play in the inner rack joints. Although produced as a sphere, wear will not be even and most of the wear occurs where the car operates most of the time.

In removing play from that area, you may cause the joint to bind when operating at the extremes (left/right and up/down) of its travel. This binding can cause the ball head to break off at the shoulder. The result is quite disconcerting as only one wheel will be connected with the steering, whilst the other will go where it wants - although the gyroscopic effect may permit you to travel in a straight line until the brakes are applied, at which time the disconnected wheel will twist round!

This is a major safety item and I would opt for a professional re-build or a new rack.

Ian Cornish

There is a lot in what you say, Ian

BUT

If I have to choose between a repro Chinese rack or one that AN-other has supposedly rebuilt

OR

one where I have examined every part, and replaced anything dodgy and adjusted it myself, WELL.....

Be no contest if I could get an factory-exchange unit of course.

There is a lot in what you say, Ian

BUT

If I have to choose between a repro Chinese rack or one that AN-other has supposedly rebuilt

OR

one where I have examined every part, and replaced anything dodgy and adjusted it myself, WELL.....

Be no contest if I could get an factory-exchange unit of course.

Actually they are Argentinian repro.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi

I would suggest that you consider NOT buying a new rack - my personal experience of the ones in circulation 'Made in Argentina' is that a lethal failure is possible and I am aware of a series of other similar failures - I believe that the supplier has 'frozen' sales of racks until these problems are resolved. PM me if you want to discuss the two failures that I have had with these new racks.

Regards

Tony

Exactly what I thought.

Years ago when I did mine I searched for a supplier in the UK of replacement pinions and eventually found a possible one in the black country.

One day I was passing and went in.

"Got a pinion for a 4A I said". The reply was "No but are you in a hurry".I wasn't,

"Have cup of tea and I'll make one for you. £10".

OK I thought, this will be a laugh. I'll never fit.

I drank the tea accompanied by the sound of a large machine grinding away and in 15 mins or so he came back with what looked right.

"I keep blanks for all the racks and cut them as required" he said, "got the original machine and all the settings".

It worked perfectly of course. But this was a long time ago I'm afraid.