Door Hinge Question

I replaced the top hinge on each door, I was hoping to just replace the pin but not possible in my case. When I looked at the hinges both the bottom ones was ok with no play or other issues.

On both top hinges the pin was actually broken inside and parts of the pin "welded" to the middle part of the hinge and totally impossible to get out, believe me I hit it with the biggest hammer and tried to press out using a big vice. As drilling was not an option I bought two new hinges. I think the cost was around £23 each.

Edited by TRseks

If you can get the pins out then fine but if you end up replacing then try and get the Bastuck ones, there is some rubbish ones around that probably have more play in them than the ones you have now.

Stuart.

Maybe you should try to get the pins out first, then you can measure and see what you got. I have a feeling the pins will be hard to push out though...

Not the best design for repair these, I had an Alfa Romeo which was much better designed hinges with bronze sleeves, easy to repair.

Edited by TRseks
  • 1 month later...

And so after the Christmas celebrations I obtained one pin and tried it. Despite being more crudely manufactured than OE it went in fine. Can't try it on the door, car in pieces so bolted a 20 inch long bar to it and measured how far I could move it vertically. 2mm. One of the original hinges same test shows 20mm deflection. Plan to buy three more pins. JJC

PS apologies for the mixed units.

• 1 year later...

Who supplies the best hinges?

The bottom one on mine has the most amount of wear, and don't believe its in the pin only.

Just ordered one from Rimmers and its about 5mm different in height to the existing, and I don't believe there is enough room in the door or the A post to accommodate this.

They don't have any more stock for a couple of weeks.

Will the Moss ones likely be from the same supplier, but they have stock?

John

Gosh, that was a long time ago. When I put the doors back on to do the body repairs they were just fine with new pins only. The car has done 100000 miles. Can't say what it's finally like because the body then came off to repair the chassis and I'm just about to reunite them. But I'm confident just replacing the pins has done the trick. JJC

Bastuck ones are good, you could try TR Shop as they stock those sometimes.

Stuart.

FWIW I refurbished a couple using roll pins after drilling out the hinges to suit. Drilled the centre very slightly larger than the outers. Easy, quick and cheap. Only issue was that a couple of hinges I tried to fix refused to cooperate - I couldn't get the pins out. Both the pins and hinges were worn btw.

Thanks to Richard Crawley for the idea. I think I have a note somewhere of all the relevant drill & roll pin sizes that I used if you need more info.

Cheers,

John

The bottom hinge was the problem one, pin was broken, managed to get it out and a new pin fitted.

Problem now is how to adjust the door, as both sides of the hinge are adjustable, do you use the A post adjustment for the front and back adjustment of the door, and use the door slots to align with the front wing?

Any help here would be much appreciated.

John