The car appears to have been the subject of a previous restoration with the badges mixed up and altered in a haphazard way which is a shame. The oblong front sidelights are rare and correct but the front side indicators are not.

The patinated red leather interior is lovely and the dashboard and front seats certainly look completely correct and original but again there are some minor additions and alterations to suggest previous work. The extension tube on the steering column to hold the correct TR3 overdrive switch is certainly a novel idea!

The engine bay has many original features with some 'updates.'

Overall a very appealing early Italia although the price may deter real connoisseurs since a complete respray would be required to return the exterior to stock condition.

Neil,

I looked at the NEC car and it was completely original with some minor alterations (rear shock absorbers added which stuck up into the rear seat area!)

It also had front end damage both sides sufficient to twist the chassis.

Nevertheless all the correct parts were there and capable of restoration.

It will be less expensive overall to buy and restore the NEC car to completely correct original spec than the white one. You pays your money etc.

I have just been asked by Towergate to review their insurance bands and I replied as follows:

Based on actual sales achieved this year including an Italia at auction on Saturday I confirm my opinion of current TRIUMPH ITALIA values as follows:

A £15,000-£25,000 B £25,000-£35,000 C £35,000-£45,000 D £45,000-£75,000 E £75,000-£100,000

During 2013 sales of Italias have occurred in categories A, C, D & E have occurred consistent with these values.

The highest price for an Italia is $125,000 or £85,000 this year.

The lowest price for an Italia is £18,000 this year.

On Saturday a category A3 car sold for £24,500 + buyer's premium.

Tony,

Restoring a Triumph Italia rolling chassis to fast road, rally, or even racing spec is very straightforward as all the go/stop/handle/steer bits are TR.

A TR4 chassis fits underneath with minimal alterations.

Restoring a complete bodyshell is also straightforward if you have a proper panel beater and the necessary skill.

Revington's 'yellow peril' was such a beast and undoubtedly a fine car to drive as the coupé bodyshell is enormously stiff (although very heavy!)

It had completely new interior and fittings and no external trim to speak of so unobtanium parts were not an issue.

An all aluminium new bodyshell is also now available which could form the basis of a brand new and very rapid Italia indeed - possibly a world beater.

The problem would be where the car was eligible to compete which is beyond my knowledge, but a tantalising prospect if you could gain entry to some Italian car classes.

• 2 weeks later...

The seller of this car (Lex Classics) is known overhere for having sold some fine automobiles in the past. In fact, the red TR4 on their site got a prize at the 2011 IWE. (Raymond and I both know the guy who has restored this car).

Apart from the discussion if the price for this Italia is correct, it's good to know that the seller has a good rep.

Menno