Boring car isn't boring anymore - electrics

Hi, I haven't been active on the forum for a very long time, a lot of different things to do and a boring car - everything worked - until today! Hurray, finally something to do!!!!

A short description - I parked the TR6 after a fairly long drive (1,5h) and got back in after 20 min. I turned the key, the various lights came on, but no starter. This has happened in the past, the spade connector on the starter came loose, so I pushed the connector back on, started the car, everything fine, BUT the indicator light for the generator doesn't go off. The ammeter shows slight loading (with headlamps on), but the indicator light is glowing brightly.... Any ideas?

It's already dark, so I didn't investigate any further.

Can it be that a cable came off so the indicator light goes on, but the generator generates nevertheless??

Thank for your comments!

Tom

If you turn the ig key and dont hear a dull 'clunk' it means the solenoid on top of the starter motor is not activating. Clean all the connectors to it and the threaded terminal post. That might not work. In my case I carried a 2 foot stick to thump the solenoid smartly until I was able to swap it for a spare. Cleaning all the wires on that terminal should sort the other gremlins.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Hi Tom,

have you had a look at the wiring diagram for your car.

The 'red' ignition light goes between the battery (12V at one end) and the alternator (12V at the other end) and under normal conditions it doesn;t glow because the volts at

either side of it are about the same.

When the engine is not running - no output fromt he Alt - the Ig light is earthed through the Alt windings adn so, glows.

Either your Alt has died (at the same time as your other problem) or you have disturbed a wire/cable when sorting the starting problem.

Roger