TR3 Door Pull Finishers

I've recently had some leather door pulls made up by John Skinner for my 1955 TR3 - and very good they are too - but so far I've had no luck tracking down the metal finishers that cover the screws on each end.

None of the usuals seem to stock them, unsurprisingly I guess.

Could anyone advise on any possible suppliers or if there are any other solutions?

Thank you in anticipation.

JeffR

Hi Jeff,

I had a similar problem when restoring my TR2, the only place I could find them, and it's a complete door pull kit that you simply pull your leather sleeves over, was from Macy's garage in the USA.

Google search macys and you will find them on their website. With the postage, not cheap, but I can vouch for the quality.

Regards bob.

Thank you both for your very helpful responses.

Roger, I'll give Revington a call - must admit I never tried them - not sure why, it probably never ocurred to me they'd have such a thing.

Cheers,

JEFF

Roger,

That's what I usually expect from Revingtons, hence my reason for not contacting them initially.

Anyway, called them this morning and apparently the item is out of stock with no indication if or when it may be available again. So, back to the drawing board!

Cheers,

JEFF

I may have spares but sorry it will take to find them so don't hold your breath.

How are they attached? Screw through whole thing i.e cover and leather thong, or screwed and then the cover plate with small screw. Reason I ask is that the cover screw looks to be very small given forces that go through it.

The pulls I have are fitted with an angled ring (like a sink plug to chain) this is through the thong. The cover slides over this and presume the chrome cover screwed into door frame.

Edited by Rodbr

Rod,

Thank you very much for your kind offer which I'd be very pleased to take up if it's OK with you.

Good question about how the finishers are attached. The leather pulls I have from John Skinner have what looks like a hard leather thong running through the centre of them for the full length of the pull. I took these to be formers but maybe they are actually what provides the strength to the pull. At each end of the pull the leather outer opens out to a wider section of leather which is about 5cms square.

Originally, my plan was to remove what I thought were the leather 'formers' and buy a pair of the black plastic inner pulls that Revingtons supply, each of which have a thin chain attached at each end. On reflection, maybe I'm mistaken - you've got me thinking.

The finishers I had in mind are illustrated in the parts manual and as described by Revingtons look like chrome plated shields with a hole in their centre to take a screw . I assumed these shiels covered the leather outer and then the screw passes through the leather and the last link of the chain pull before screwing into the door frame.

I've tried to attach some pictures showing the ends of the leather pulls and the hard internal leather thong. Please note, In these pictures I've pulled the thong out by a few cms so you can see it - in actual fact they are flush with the ends of the pull before leather begins tp flare..

If you or anyone else can shed any light on how these pull ends should attach to the finishers and door frame I'd be most appreciative.

In case you're wondering, I've previously spoken to John Skinner about it but he didn't seem to be too sure - either that or I wasn't understanding what he was saying!

I'm not in a rush for the finishers as my TR3 will be pretty much layed up for the winter as soon as the salt goes down on the roads. This job is on my list of things to do in readines for next year, along with a number of others so there's plenty to be getting on with in the meantime.

Regards,

JEFF.post-262-0-25493000-1385753400_thumb.jpgpost-262-0-44052200-1385753414_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-25493000-1385753400_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-44052200-1385753414_thumb.jpg

Hi Jeff,

As I said it will take some time to find my spares as I have a whole TR boxed and in my attic.

My original one appeared to have had a screw through the middle of the "Thong" at the door end and the other end had ripped of the door catch so no real help.

My solution is going to be as follows:

Both ends of the "thong" were fitted triangle shape metal rings.

With the cover fitted I will fit washer above and below the ring and fit over the door catch with the domed chrome nut finisher.

At the door end and under a bit of tension a screw and washer securing it to the door and then a fine screw to hold the finisher.

I want the load to come on the thong and not the cover.

Thats roughly how I invisage it.

Rod,

Your fixing solution sounds about right. The more I think about it, it becomes obvious that the thongs are the load bearing elements of these pulls and the traingular metal rings enable the pull to swing freely on their attachment points to the door..

Your advice has been very helful - thanks.

I don't want to put you to too much trouble regarding searching your attic for the finishers - so it's going to be a hassle don't worry about it - I'll continue my search elswewhere.

Roy, in his message above has indicated TRBitz may be a place to try, so I'll give them a call.

I'd also like to thank Edwin regarding his source for the escutcheons. Fortunately, I already have these so that at least minimises the overall problem.

With thanks and regards to all.

JEFF.

• 2 years later...

I think Jeff might be sorted by now, nearly three years on. I'd edit out your phone number if I were you as this is a public forum. A personal message would be safer.

Edited by peejay4A
  • 1 year later...

Just revisiting this as I am in the throws of seeking 4 of the end cappings for the interior door pull of a TR2 (Pt No 602064 - NLS at Moss, not listed TRF)

The Macy's item pt no MCY113, as an assembled kit for USD 39.50 for a car set is quite attractive BUT the shipping to UK is another USD 150.00 !!!

Anyone got a better idea of how to get the capping or kit?

The Lambretta floor rubber strip end caps look too large.

LambrettaFloorEndCapsSer1Ser2Pic2.jpg

Any help in obtaining these items would be appreciated.

Cheers

Peter W

Peter, the shipping charge Mark has in place is there as a deterrent -- it's been a painful headache to ship parts overseas for him, and he does everything he can to avoid it.

Send me a pm if there's something specific you need help with -- perhaps we can find a way.

I've been known to bring parts over in my suitcase for friends, but even that has had its perils, and I'm reluctant to offer it unless exceptional circumstances warrant. (A recent effort resulted in a poor outcome, and ended up costing friends in the UK out-of-pocket for the help they provided, which I ended up making whole as part of the the cost of trying to do a favor!)

Peter, the shipping charge Mark has in place is there as a deterrent -- it's been a painful headache to ship parts overseas for him, and he does everything he can to avoid it.

Send me a pm if there's something specific you need help with -- perhaps we can find a way.

I've been known to bring parts over in my suitcase for friends, but even that has had its perils, and I'm reluctant to offer it unless exceptional circumstances warrant. (A recent effort resulted in a poor outcome, and ended up costing friends in the UK out-of-pocket for the help they provided, which I ended up making whole as part of the the cost of trying to do a favor!)

That’s disappointing to hear Don especially when your going out of your way to do someone a favor.

Hi Pete,

those Lamby caps could be fettled from solid.

I made a set of sunvisor end fittings from solid - a bit grubby but the fittings looked OK.

The internal shaping should be easy enough with a dremmel type thingy.

Roger

post-4113-0-27471100-1524852254_thumb.jpg

Just revisiting this as I am in the throws of seeking 4 of the end cappings for the interior door pull of a TR2 (Pt No 602064 - NLS at Moss, not listed TRF)

The Macy's item pt no MCY113, as an assembled kit for USD 39.50 for a car set is quite attractive BUT the shipping to UK is another USD 150.00 !!!

Anyone got a better idea of how to get the capping or kit?

The Lambretta floor rubber strip end caps look too large.

LambrettaFloorEndCapsSer1Ser2Pic2.jpg

Any help in obtaining these items would be appreciated.

Cheers

Peter W

Pete I'm after a set of these for UOV possibly if there are a few more of us we could do a 'group buy, so that the $150 was a bit more palatable

• 2 months later...

I have today received a car set of the Macys TR2-3 interior door pulls with escutcheons.

The kit is quite splendid. All you need to do is cover the cord in your chosen vinyl/leather to match the car's interior.

I contacted The Roadster Factory and they stock the items and understand how to send things by economic postal services. The service I have had from them is really good.

TRF know the items as part number RFK2071 desc. T23 Pull Strap Kit, Door Latch

They cost me less than $50.00 with carriage. (GB£ 37.00) I also got caught for UK VAT and duty which was another GB £ 15.00. This tends to happen when you order from businesses.

Peter W

PS TRF also do the windscreen Tenax pegs 553827. They are bright chrome, ball shaped, the right length thread form and fully threaded to the correct length. win win win. The Moss ones are pear shaped and not fully threaded and are what looks like nickel plated.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT