TR4 saloon + J overdrive - correct cable?

My 4 is being built with a saloon J type OD. After reading all previous posts I am still not confident that I know the best length of cable to order, or indeed the correct route.

As i see it...the drive (on the RHS of the OD) points down by say 30 degree, and any cable would go straight through the holes (already) in the chassis member to appear at the underside of the floor. So far so good, and no right angled drive in sight!

I presume that the cable would then turn a slow 90 degree to face forward to enter the engine compartment, and then take a 180 back to go through the bulkhead.

Grateful if anyone can confirm that this is indeed what happens and what the best cable length for the route would be?

I appreciate that trying it is the obvious suggestion but at this time I do not have the dash in, nor the engine compartment fully furnished, and really want to order and receive, the correct cable first time round. What an optimist!

Thanks for the forum advice so far on my build - it has really been invaluable.

Norman

Me Thinks you will need to use an angle drive or the cable hits the exhaust/floor/handbrake with a J type overdrive fitted in a TR2/3/4 chassis.

FWIW

RHD car

With angle drive try a TR4A-6 one which is 69 inches long.

Without angle drive try a TR3 one which is 84 inches long.

I think the correct one for TR4 without angle drive but plus A type overdrive was 78 inches - I await correction.....

Left hooker

TR3 used a 96 inch without angle drive.

Cheers

Peter W

Thanks Peter - I'm glad I asked as I had not thought of (particularly) the exhaust aspect. Since I'm quite a way off sorting that, I'm now inclined to defer the speedo cable issue.

Thanks again.

Norman