Does anyone know if the new 6 cylinder rod bolts (UKC2598) currently available from the usual suspects are up to scratch? Or have any suggestions for alternatives?

I'm in the process of building a 2L version for my Vitesse and though it probably will see the wrong side of 6,500k occasionally, it's strictly a road car so I'll not be hitting that sort of rpm (legally) in any gear above second or holding it for more than a few seconds. I know the original bolts were decent quality and have a couple of sets - both used and with unknown history though they look fine and measure the same length. Would be happy to use new OE quality, but concerned that the current repros may not be as good as my used ones!

Thanks

Nick

Edited by Nick Jones

I went through the same thought process rebuilding my 2.0, and decided in the end that it might be a false economy not to use good bolts.

Have a chat with Mark at Jigsaw, after a few failures of ARP's he has a supply of UK forged bolts at way less than ARP's. I have pulled 6.5-7.0 in my 2.0Ltr a couple of times without anything going bang! and they are running the Le Mans Spitfires on them.

How strange, not heard of issues with ARP conrod bolts failing, even with regular 7K RPM, track days, a GPS 130MPH. !...and 20K miles later.

Cheers

Agree. Bolt failure most likely to be the result of over-torquing and even then I gather that the threads in the standard rods tend to fail before even the standard bolts. Which makes the ARP bolts seem a bit pointless.........

Standard bolts used once previously saw the far side of 7k in my Herald 1300 many times without a problem. Lasted 20k miles before the crank broke...... The engine lives on with another crank.

Nick