Does anyone know the lenght of a spitfire ( 4 wheel model ) choke cable ?

It looks like it could fit my 250 with HS6s rather than missing about with the twin cable i have at the moment. They seam to have the same style of knob as well. Your thoughts.

Patch

Dont bother.

Visit your local bike shop and buy one (or two) brake cables, with end ferrules and wire-end covers.

Cable and outer can be cut to length with sharp pliers/wirecutters. Add a ferrule to the end and fit.

Wire-end covers are like tiny, malleable metal condoms and can be crimped on to stop the wires fraying, but heat shrink tubing can do as well.

John

Hi Alan/John,

if you go the bicycle cable route (as I have) you will need to attach the inner cable to the knob on the dash.

This will require soldering. The cables are made of Stainless steel these days and you will/may have problems soldering.

There are special fluxes for S/S cables.

Having said that I have had success soldering the cables with ordinary plumbers flux and solder.

I think the attaching process is more of a binding with the spiral wires (mechanical) rather than actual solder bonding of the metal.

If you look carefully at the end of the inner cable that you obtain it will have been 'arc sealed' so no need for the ferrule to stoip it splaying.

Roger

Thank you.Roger!

I was delighted to find the wire end covers at my bike shop, as in trying to solder up the wire to stop it fraying, I have failed dismally!

And I should have read Alan's post more carefully. The bike cable works well with a throttle, as the stop at one end for the brake handle works well on a pedal. The choke IS a different fish kettle!

John

I rebuilt mine on the 3A. Originally they used a stiff wire rather than multistrand cable. A good source for this I found on Ebay (piano wire) of the correct diameter. It's stainless but Baker's Fluid flux worked fine for tinning it, wash well before soldering up to the saw tooth thingy. I can dig out the wire diameter & source if you need it.

Phil.

hi gents

Thanks for responses, Im not going to be fabricating my own from lots of different bits ,cos i can use what i have ( original twin cable ) and loose one of the cables. I just saw the spitfire one while surfing so hense the original question cos it would be a cleaner job and Only a tenner

Patch

Alan,

Whatever system you set, use a solid piano string wire, not multispire wire. These will always do a poor job when pushing back the command (to supple). A Volvo 122 choke is ideal.

Badfrog