last run with the lady

The weather this month has been unusually mild. it got up to 60F this monday, so I took the Grey Lady for her last run of the year.

Cheers,

Frank :)

Great video Frank.

My car is still in my garage, but I have to move it to an other location (heated!) for the winter, so that I can put my son's dinghy in its place... When I look at the scenery of Pennsylvania, I think you guys don't have any space issues! Enough space for an extension to the garage, I think.

Menno

Hi Frank,

That's a great last pre winter run along scenic deserted roads. Almost looks too early to be putting her away. You must already be hanging out for spring.

We are so fortunate in this neck of the woods to have a TR friendly climate all year round.

Rgds,

Viv

Over here it is hard to conceive that some poor owners have to lock the TR up for a reasonable chunk of the year instead of just hopping in for a burn whenever they want to. Years ago met a Canadian Honda Gullwing motorcycle owner who only used it for 6 months a year.

Here in Canberra we even feel sorry for Viv who has to drive his TR in the rain so often.

Frank, thanks for letting us share the drive of your Tr, very pretty countryside. Luckily I live in the south of england so the rain is quite warm in the winter, and seriously some of those winter drives with a cold snap in the air can not be beaten in a TR.

Hi frank,

Thanks for posting your lovely footage. Great car and great scenery!

Stunning weather instead of ours, it is dull and wet. However last Friday a week ago it was stunning as well overhere during our visit to the old

Holland America Line steamer s.s. Rotterdam (1959) which is now a museum. We visited it with a small number of TR club members and was a wonderful step back in time.

Raymond

Hi frank,

Thanks for posting your lovely footage. Great car and great scenery!

Stunning weather instead of ours, it is dull and wet. However last Friday a week ago it was stunning as well overhere during our visit to the old

Holland America Line steamer s.s. Rotterdam (1959) which is now a museum. We visited it with a small number of TR club members and was a wonderful step back in time.

Raymond

Wow Raymond, thanks for posting this. As a born and raised 'Rotterdammer', I really like this!

I took my car to the guys who did a large part of the resto a few years back; their hall is heated during the winter! And it gives me space in my garage to store my son's dinghy.

It was bl*ody cold this morning: even with thermo wear and a sheepskin jacket, things weren't really comfortable. Despite that, it was a wonderful last 2013 trip: blue sky, hardly no traffic and a great sounding TR.

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

I never completely stop using mine if I can avoid it, but my Bentley has had very little use in the last year or so because of the TR and the Healey, but this last week I've fitted a Harvey Bailey Engineering handling kit. It's a thicker front anti-roll bar and one for the back that it didn't have before and it's better for it, but I've had horrific problems with refusing to start, hesitation and stopping altogether when it's hot. The hotter it is, the worse the problem. A new coil and condenser didn't fix it, but as the tanks was down round a quarter, I thought I'd top it up, so in went £75 worth (I'm lying in a darkened room now trying to breath normally) and after about five miles, it's cleared and running beautifully.

Sorry it's a long story, but petrol goes stale and can be a real pain after the car has had period of storage.

Sorry it's a long story, but petrol goes stale and can be a real pain after the car has had period of storage.

Yep, I've noticed that in the past after pulling the car from hibernation. This time I managed to store the car with less than 10 ltrs. First thing I buy next year will be a 10 ltr can of fresh fuel!

Menno

I really think we should put in a t piece with valve so that we can drain down the tank when laying up for the winter, what fluid could we replace the petrol with to protect the tank during the cold long winter, then in the spring use the valve to drain down to replace with petrol. Paraffin ? Central heating oil?

The tank drain plug is a nightmare, very dangerous to hold a funnel under it and let it go, even if you are on a lift or and even more dangerous over a pit, I have a red top competition petrol pump kit to drain the tank clipped to a battery (well away from the petrol end) it will drain the tank into jerrycans in a very few minutes and fresh petrol can be used next time you put the car on the road

I thought of Frank and others who have to abandon their TRs during the Winter, as I went for a 30 mile country lane drive for no good reason other than to cheer my miserable self up after a depressing week or two. It worked - TRs should be available on the NHS as an alternative therapy :D:D:D

Edited by BrianC

I took olde rusty around the highways and byways of Bromley yesterday (most definitely not worth filming) for first its first trip after IWE - 3 months and possibly its last for a while as captain salty seems to be out in his truck quite often.

Took an hour or more to get the batch to start and then even after getting her warmed for a good while she ran rough as a dog, backfiring, unwilling to pick up under load at low revs (but at least the 'give it some wellie to stop it stalling' wheel spin exits from junctions were fun).

Would a 1/4 tank of petrol go funny in just 3 months? Or has she de-tuned herself whilst sitting there ?

That said, she did manage to fix a faulty full beam, fuel gauge and dash lights all by herself - the de-tune must have been payback !

Do things like this work - fuel diamond?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=fuel+diamond&_osacat=9884&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xfuel+diamond+tr&_nkw=fuel+diamond+tr&_sacat=9884

Not sure i like the thought of something bashing my float around?

I see the forum has discussed the merit of winter lay-up options of fuel in / out / tank full etc no clear consensus ?

My plan was to at least once a month run the engine til a good temp and if the weather permits, drive up and down the close to keep the grease circulating (its a dead end so they never salt it)

???

For us novices, I would love someone to start a winter lay-up thread as a fresh seasonal reminder !

I took olde rusty around the highways and byways of Bromley yesterday (most definitely not worth filming) for first its first trip after IWE - 3 months and possibly its last for a while as captain salty seems to be out in his truck quite often.

Took an hour or more to get the batch to start and then even after getting her warmed for a good while she ran rough as a dog, backfiring, unwilling to pick up under load at low revs (but at least the 'give it some wellie to stop it stalling' wheel spin exits from junctions were fun).

Would a 1/4 tank of petrol go funny in just 3 months? Or has she de-tuned herself whilst sitting there ?

That said, she did manage to fix a faulty full beam, fuel gauge and dash lights all by herself - the de-tune must have been payback !

Do things like this work - fuel diamond?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=fuel+diamond&_osacat=9884&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xfuel+diamond+tr&_nkw=fuel+diamond+tr&_sacat=9884

Not sure i like the thought of something bashing my float around?

I see the forum has discussed the merit of winter lay-up options of fuel in / out / tank full etc no clear consensus ?

My plan was to at least once a month run the engine til a good temp and if the weather permits, drive up and down the close to keep the grease circulating (its a dead end so they never salt it)

???

For us novices, I would love someone to start a winter lay-up thread as a fresh seasonal reminder !

I'm almost sure your starting problems are caused by detoriated (3 months old) petrol. I not believe in wonders such as "the diamond", but on the

other hand it's worth to try for only 7,50.

Raymond

I think that Millers' and other brands have fuel additives that are formulated to protect the tank + fuel. Personally, I don't care: I simply add new fuel next spring. My fuel tank is made of alloy, so there's no rust problem inside the tank.

Menno