Back in the Early 80's....Does anybody remember?

Back in the early 80's in my mid teens I used to work at a petrol station on the A46 near Old Sodbury on the Avon Gloucestershire border.

The garage was called Roman Camp Garage and had a workshop round the back of it. The Workshops were owned and run by a chap from Hawkesbury Upton called Dougie Dawe. Dougie was quite well known in the local area as a Rally enthusiast.

I seem to remember Dougie purchasing 3 Works TR8's that were ex Tony Pond cars? I can still recall the amazing noise these cars made each evening as he pulled out and accelerated hard off down the A46. You could still hear the noise from 2 miles away on a quiet evening in the summer.

I have done a few Google searches to see if it brought anything up, but didnt find a sausage.

Does anybody have any recollection of the garage (the petrol station is still there) Dougie Dawe or even where the cars are now?

I finally progressed (after numerous Spitfires and GT6's) to TR ownership....albeit not an 8!!

Morning,

The person you need to speak to for this will be Chris Turner - He has a huge knowledge of all things to do with the works cars.

He does post on here so you could send him a PM from the members list.

Cheers

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Ian, sorry about the delay, I should visit this forum more often. I always enjoy my visits.

Doug Dawe did buy ex works TR7s from the factory. The most famous one was KDU 498N, Tony Ponds first TR7 rally car. Its shell was well worn after Tony had used it in 1976 before moving on to another 16 valve car

OOE 938R, for that years RAC rally.

Edited by chris turner