Good (or probably bad) Vibrations!

Dear all. I've recently picked up a 'vibration' which i can feel under the driving seat when in forward motion. Seems to get a little more pronounced with speed / acceleration. not severe, but was not noticeable a week or so ago!

No vibrations felt via clutch or through gear stick when in motion, so am wondering if I may have the beginnings of a prop shaft issue/diff issue? (or am I just getting old and paranoid!)

Not the most mechanically able bod, so anyone who has any thoughts / lives in the Derby City area (Derbyshire) and could give me any advise of maybe what to look for, much appreciated..... Happy TRing!! Chas

Hi Chas,

welcome to the forum.

It could be propshaft/driveshaft related. The UJ's do wear out and at some point may make their condition known.

However it could be the tyres - check for lumps or stones in the tread.

The dampers could go soft and vibrate more than they should.

If you pop along to your local group they may be able to give more advice if you are not too hands on.

Roger

PS - also check to see if the exhaust is rattling against the chassis/body

Edited by RogerH

Hi Chas, welcome to the forum.

As Roger says, although UJs often knock before you sense vibration.

Worth looking to see if the NS rear wheel has thrown a balance weight.

Peter

Dear Roger & Peter, many thanks for your replies and suggestions! I will make a start in trying to source the 'vibes' and will report back generally, if and when there is success!

Time to visit the local group and 'roll up the shirt sleeves'! Thanks Folks! Chas

Hi Chas,

The wheel check is good advice, one of our 6s has a similar symptom which I'm yet to tackle and I'm thinking a prop UJ/prop balance.

I remember years ago on a GT6 I had, it was causing quite shake (rear view mirror very fuzzy) when I got the prop off one of the UJs was completely shot! From memory it didn't clunk oddly.

Let us know how you get on.

Steve

• 5 months later...

Hi Folks. Just to 'complete' this particular topic. Yes, the source of the vibration turned out to be one of the prop UJ's (rear) and was pretty much 'shot', on removal.

So, in this instance, a 'through the seat of your pants vibration', progressively getting more noticeable with speed, turned out to be a worn UJ. Replaced both, as prop was out. now feels great!!

Just to note: I did not experience any 'knocking' or 'clunking', prior/during driving, before the UJ's were replaced.

Many thanks to those of you who posted possible solutions! Took the 6 out for a long drive (drive it day yesterday), and she did not miss a beat!

Happy days!!! Chas