hs6 heat shields

Carl, I have seen many, but they were all DIY. If you are not able to make them yourself you will have to check with the racing orientated suppliers.

You can make yourself a pattern with cardboard, and when you have reached a satisfactory shape you transfer it to an alu sheet. As far as I know you will have to make the shield  in two parts to clear the throttle linkage  :) , but not sure about that.

Jean

Hi Dave,

I think I've got standard "BAB", but I'm going to go for the "BAE" type (as per Moss catalogue advice) and see what they're like. The graph (a la Mintylamb) shows a richer carburation throughout the range which should suit a freer flowing engine and fruity-cam set up. I've been told to try pulling the choke out at higher revs to see if it makes a difference... It's going to a rolling road soon though.

hope this is of some help!

Adey

have you got an extractor manifold fitted? if so, try wrapping the manifold and exhaust down to about the gearbox bracket.

use exhaust heat seal tape - i have done a really neat job using stainless steel zip ties.

Keeps the heat out of the engine bay (definitely) and is supposed to increase your engines efficiency?

have fun

peter :D

I've also just wrapped the manifold (Thermotec stuff), it's fantastic. The heat reduction under the bonnet is significant. It looks good too if you spend time to make a nice jod of it. (The "Snap straps" are expensive but worth it)

Adey:cool:

Guest mrodbert

Interested in the - wrap the exhaust - answers. Doesn't that just heat up everything else down the line.

Whats worrying me is that at the end of the Targa Rusticana (a one day rally) my left shoe was slightly melted and my foot had quite bad burns and blisters from where the exhaust passes near the gearbox cover and foot rest. :(

The heats got to go somewhere right. Or am I missing something.

Confused Rallyiste,

Mark

PS - I normally navigate and its well known that drivers are impervious to pain, so may not be an issue  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark

I think the idea is that more heat comes out the back end, where it's supposed to go! No probs so far with my car and Andy's has had the wrapping on for a while now, again no probs. I've only wrapped as far down as level with the chassis.

Hi Dave, I've just changed the needles today to "BAE" type from "BDM" and there's been an improvement, esp flat-out.

I'm running later swept manifold, HS6s, TH5-Cam (Road/ fast road), and an extractor manifold (4-2-1 Triumph Tune) that's been wrapped. I haven't rolling roaded it yet. I just set/ balanced the carbs and mixture and took it for a spin! (fuel economy will suffer I'm sure)

hope this helps

Ade

:D

Back to the heat shields issue - I have nice chrome MGB (eugh! wash my mouth out with soap!) items, modified slightly to fit - Moss I think? Oh, and a very efficient custom-built twin cable operated throttle mechanism (that desn't move around with the engine (!) ) using a pair of later (rubber bumper) MGB (sorry, eugh again!) throttle cables. Will send photo if you want.

cheers, Andy