looking for information on SUP 749 and 457 YPE

Hi Mark, the best place to start is to join the TR Register and then contact Mike Elliss, the registrar for those cars.

Not only that, you will find this forum a veritable font of knowledge and experience, not to mention support, whilst you carry out your restoration, right through to driving it when finished.

Good luck

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi thanks for the message. I will be joining the club as I have seen already there has been plenty of advice and help. Especially compared to some other clubs I have been part of. I will speak to Mike once I have joined. I have my fingers crossed that there is some information out there as it does help. I am curious about the tr2 as the old log book and the v5 have it registered with a 2.2l engine.

• 4 months later...

At last, at last! We owned 457 YPE! 1967-70. She was registered in 1962 - one of the very last. We gave her a new white coat and Mr.Hankowitz of Bedford did some repairs on the hood and seats. New front suspension. So much to tell you of her - Pat and I loved her deeply! So many stories..................41 mpg once!!

The accelerator was connected to the twin carbs via a series of articulated rods with ball and sockets...........there I was doing 110 in the fast lane of the A1 near Bedford - and one of the balls came out of its socket.................110mph and the engine ticking over at 800rpm............gulp! But no, we never damaged her.

The hood studs to the windscreen would never stay in at speed...............God we loved that car. Only when Pat was 6 months pregnant with our 2nd son - did we finally sell it privately in Bedford to a Peter xxx?

I have cine film, now on DVD (very short shots) of our beloved 'yipppeee'

Mark where do you live? We are retired in Bexhill (UK). PM me. Speak soon?

Ian Griffiths

Hi thanks for the message. I will be joining the club as I have seen already there has been plenty of advice and help. Especially compared to some other clubs I have been part of. I will speak to Mike once I have joined. I have my fingers crossed that there is some information out there as it does help. I am curious about the tr2 as the old log book and the v5 have it registered with a 2.2l engine.

At last, at last! We owned 457 YPE! 1967-70. She was registered in 1962 - one of the very last. We gave her a new white coat and Mr.Hankowitz of Bedford did some repairs on the hood and seats. New front suspension. So much to tell you of her - Pat and I loved her deeply! So many stories..................41 mpg once!!

The accelerator was connected to the twin carbs via a series of articulated rods with ball and sockets...........there I was doing 110 in the fast lane of the A1 near Bedford - and one of the balls came out of its socket.................110mph and the engine ticking over at 800rpm............gulp! But no, we never damaged her.

The hood studs to the windscreen would never stay in at speed...............God we loved that car. Only when Pat was 6 months pregnant with our 2nd son - did we finally sell it privately in Bedford to a Peter xxx?

I have cine film, now on DVD (very short shots) of our beloved 'yipppeee'

Mark where do you live? We are retired in Bexhill (UK). PM me. Speak soon?

Ian Griffiths

Hi

I have actually emailed you as well. However it is brilliant that I have found a previous owner and I am very grateful you have messaged me. The car was found sitting in a barn in Yorkshire, sadly rotting away. We picked her up last year and the restoration will be starting this year. Up to now all we have done is stripped the car down and started to repair the chassis.

Funnily enough I am not too far from you as I live in Worthing. The car is being rebuilt near Portsmouth.

• 2 months later...

I bought 457 YPE from Ian Griffiths in Bedford .I am Pete Savage I had the car until about 1972 . I sprinted it and had a load of fun with it, my biggest regret was selling it and getting a TVR. The TVR handled better and did not try and kill me as often as the TR3 but for absolute fun it was no contest. I am pleased it still lives I would love to see it again.

Pete Savage

Cornwall 01637. 874780

Edited by Pete savage
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...