Mains and Big End Bearing Suppliers

I am part way through rebuilding a 6 cylinder PI engine and now need to buy some standard sized mains and big end bearing shells.

For mains, suppliers offered are Glacier and County and for the rods Glyco and County.

For both, County are approximately half the cost of the alternative.

It would be great if members could advise of any good or bad experiences with these different bearing Suppliers.

Thanks

Jerry

I`ve used Countys` HD bearing shells in 4 engine rebuilds over the last 5 years (2 x Triumph and 2 x other BL) with no problems. Others may disagree! Just out of interest what prices are you being quoted?, not interested in from whom. Cheers, Steve.

Edited by SteveF

Thanks Steve, i have always been under the impression that the quality of County parts was pretty good, so was suprised to see them with the low cost numbers!

A quick search for bearings showed Mains for £53 if Glacier or £28 County, and Rods with Glyco at £56 and County £28.

My preference is to obtain quality bearing shells; with cost, presently, of secondary importance.

Jerry

County are available in regular (aluminium, like Glacier), or HD (lead/copper) specs. I've always used the latter, with no problems.

Glacier were OE after Vandervell.

Heritage did reproduce the OE VP shells, though I'm unsure of their availability.

Bottom line is: there are very few "bad" bearings out there (County HD TR2-4A), but of lousy crank grinders & cockeyed rods there are plenty...

The Plastigage never lies.

Bottom line is: there are very few "bad" bearings out there (County HD TR2-4A),

Hi Jon,

Maybe I mis-interpreted this but are you saying the County HD bearings are bad on the 4 pot? I have them fitted now and they seem OK.

Cheers

Graeme

If you want the best then you need Vandervell VP2's, ..... difficult to find these days but try Ebay or a College Prof called Basil Adams in the States (he's spent the last few years buying up the entire Universe's supply of Vandervells!!, though he can be persuaded to part with some for a bob or two!!

Last year I had a set of STD 4 pot rod bearings from him for a little less than £100 including import duties.

There is a section of The Roadster Factory's catalogue that gives the Vandervell/Triumph history and explains why you should use VP2's if you can get them.

VPM 91253 STD ... TR5/6 main bearings

VPR 91252 STD ... TR5/6 big end bearings

Me? ... I've always used them.

Cheers Rob

Hi Graeme-

I took a set of County HD Std big-ends out of a steel crank/Carrillo engine recently & found copper showing in several spots on each shell, in a common pattern.

The wear pattern was consistent with dimensional inaccuracy & had nothing to do with thrust washers, load or any other normal factor. I suspect a hiccup somewhere in manufacture leading to high spots in the copper coating, though haven't a clue how or why this could happen.

It didn't blow up or run the bearings, but the sight of copper was somewhat alarming.

As with all repro parts, I suppose it pays to check & check again during assembly, though this type of occurrence is certainly rare.