I am considering fabricating replacement front and back plates on the 6 engine and seek information on the grade of aluminium alloy to use.

I am looking at 6082 T4 which appears to be suitable but would welcome advice from those who have travelled down a similar road or who know better. :)

Vic

Hi Vic,

not an expert on car Ali's but at BA we used a lot of 7075-T6 for structural applications.

Similar strength to steel but lighter. Machines easily because it is quite hard.

Probably more expensive than the 6068 material though.

Roger

Joe Alexander of Alexander Racing Enterprises (A.R.E) in the US makes TR6 front and back plates from 6061 T6 aluminum alloy.

Front, TR250-TR6 to 1974. $89, in stock: http://www.the-vintage-racer.com/index.php/engine-components/product/43-afp-tr6

Front, 1975-1976: http://www.the-vintage-racer.com/index.php/engine-components/product/44-afp-tl6

Rear, $119, in stock: http://www.the-vintage-racer.com/index.php/engine-components/product/45-arp-tr6

AFP-TR6-500x500.jpgARP-TR6-500x500.jpg

Edited by Don H.

Hi Peter,

under normal conditions the steel item is probably well over engineered as it is built to cost not weight saving.

Many of the Ali alloys have tremendous strength and the tempering can resolve many issues within its useage - corrosion, stiffness, strength etc.

6061 is very similar to 6082 and the T6 temper would give it a great deal of stiffness.

7075T6 would be a little over engineered also.

Roger

Jor Alexander's 6-cyl plates are excellent; I built Josh Files' 2010 Thoroughbred Championship winning TR6 engine with them, & a couple more to boot.

The engine also has an alloy sump & contains no gaskets apart from the obvious one.

It is oiltight & goes fairly well, I think.

As far as I am aware, the 2011 TSCC Championship was won by a "D" Type replica, so the implication in the TRE advert is wrong on two counts.

Beware of alloy TR2-4A front plates; titanium works better in this application.

Edited by Stanpartmanpartwolf

Did this myself - after all it's easy to use the original as a template.

Made them from 6mm sheet when the original steel ones are 3mm.

Maybe I chose the wrong alloy, but after a season or two, I had fine cracks around the bolt holts on the rear plate and junked them.

After all, these are not rotating parts so its just their dead weight that matters

The weight saving is tiny, a kilogram at most, when you can save many kilograms by using GRP body parts.

John

PS Titanium! Wouldn't you need a whole new set of tools to work that?

Edited by john.r.davies

Jor Alexander's 6-cyl plates are excellent; I built Josh Files' 2010 Thoroughbred Championship winning TR6 engine with them, & a couple more to boot.

The engine also has an alloy sump & contains no gaskets apart from the obvious one.

It is oiltight & goes fairly well, I think.

As far as I am aware, the 2011 TSCC Championship was won by a "D" Type replica, so the implication in the TRE advert is wrong on two counts.

Beware of alloy TR2-4A front plates; titanium works better in this application.

Noted and edited, thanks for your input Jon :)

Tom

Hi JohnD,

various Ali alloys are prone to stress cracking (your cracked holes). There are ways of hardening the surface of the hole to reduce/stop this happening - you can pull a mandrel through the hole that is a few thou bigger than the hole and it compresses the Ali thus hardening it.

However if you had chosen your material better in the first place!!!

As for Titanium - excellent stuff in the right place. I would have thought a car engine plate is not the right place due to cost and machining difficulties.

When playing with Titanium you must also consider any metals coming into contact with it. Electrolytic corrosion can be a problem.

Titanium bolts are usually Cad plated etc.

But it is there to be played with - go for it.

Roger

Tom, thanks, none taken & none meant.

I've seen no cracking yet; fit the rear plate up with hard plain & Schnorr washers & all should be well.

We already have a couple of Ti front plates in use. No problems at all with them.

Far from cheap but, as expected, very light & strong. I can supply them to special order.

The TR5/6 front plates can be steel inserted, but if you're going to the trouble of building a nice engine, why spoil it with a crappy original style bent tin tensioner?

I've seen used alloy plates with quite a pronounced gouge were the steel tensioner eat into the softer alloy.

This concerns me, but I'm working on a fix.

I own a couple of steel ones with the same problem......

Also curious to hear of a bent tin alternative as modern tin seems much softer than 60s tin.

Nick

Andy,

You made me look around:

This one is from a Honda engine, could be attached to the side to the timing cover, and if you could seal it though the cover, is adjustable! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-1980-1982-CB900-C-CB-900-Custom-Engine-lower-Primary-Chain-Guide-Tensioner-/360786687006?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item54008ff41e#ht_749wt_904

Any good??

John

Andy,

You made me look around:

This one is from a Honda engine, could be attached to the side to the timing cover, and if you could seal it though the cover, is adjustable! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-1980-1982-CB900-C-CB-900-Custom-Engine-lower-Primary-Chain-Guide-Tensioner-/360786687006?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item54008ff41e#ht_749wt_904

Any good??

John

Motor cycle one John, so probably has an external adjuster in an alloy case.

I was intrigued by the MOPAR assembly as its a compact aftermarket add on, they don't have a tensioner as standard, and it fits inside a similar tin cover. Stops chain whip and timing drift too, so gives a smoother engine.

http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com/Rebuild/HemiRebuildPart2.html

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=136340

I'll have another stab at getting one to investigate shortly.

Edited by Andy Brady