For some time now I've had an engine misfire with my TR6 PI with the following results. The two plugs nearest the cabin "soot up" to a near black colour, don't appear to be oily, whilst the other four plugs appear to be ok. When I change the offending two plugs things go OK for about 20 miles before they soot up again and I get an engine misfire at about 3000 to 3500 revs. If I then really reeve the car on any homeward journey the two offending plugs loose some of their blackness but are not the same as the front four. Any suggestions!

Welcome to the forum!

5 and 6 share the same butterfly - check it is opening the same as the front two. If it is not opening fully the mixture will go rich hence plug sooting.

Peter

I had the same problem and got it solved thanks to this forum post http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/42553-pinking-lumpy/page-2&do=findComment&comment=331459 ,

I bought the flow meter and I'm now a happy TR-driver.

Edited by ijonsson

Hahahahahaha! Join the club! I've Invested in a Spark Plug Brush and clean 'em before every run and sometimes during one!

I've not cleaned my spark plugs in 4,000 miles, shouldn't need to!

I'd check the butterflies as above, there are three pairs so 5&6 share a pair and the symptoms point to something amiss.