A short while ago, I walked out of a local supermarket to find a "retired" gent giving my 250 a good looking over. Expecting the usual conversation about owning one of these many years ago, I was slightly taken aback by his opening line of "do you want to sell it" To cut a long story slightly shorter, he owns a 4A and has always wanted a 5 or 250.

Having never considered selling a car that I had always wanted and had spent 9 years building, I laughed when he said that, if I was willing to give him half an hour to get home, he would return with a very large pile of banknotes. There was nothing comical about the offer, it was just the huge amount he was offering that caught me off guard.

I drove home via the usual circuitous route, still smiling and utterly confident that my wife would agree that the 250 was here to stay.

This was my REALITY CHECK. She casually pointed out the following;

a. I have to plan for compulsory retirement from the Military in 2 years time.

b. My retirement plan involves encouraging 4 young adults to leave the nest.

c. The amount he had offered constituted a healthy deposit for a first house that our daughter desperately needs.

d. I have a 71 TR6 quietly rusting away in the back yard.

I now know who my allies are. But the reason for this post, apart from the obvious support required in hanging on to something recently reclassified as a toy, is the age old question - What's it worth. I have already had a reminder that it's only worth what someone is willing to pay, but I am not after ripping anyone off.

Confessional closed.

028_zps2715f1b2.jpg

Andy

Unfortunately, many of our beloveds don't seem to comprehend the place in our hearts that these mechanical things occupy, is the first point.

Secondly, it is true that the world is much more difficult to get a start in these days and it is great to help our offspring if we have the wherewithal.

But to be coerced into parting with something you love, to my mind, is pushing things a bit far.

At the end of the day, our kids will make it one way or another, and if they are a little hungry along the way, then they will sharpen up, for sure.

Perhaps there could be a get out here Andy. After compulsory retirement, perhaps you could go into full time Triumph restoration.

All the best,

Dave.

I couldn't do it, especially a 5.

Ask Andrew for advice , he had the guts to do it.

Come on Jimbo, Andrew didn't have a '5' and if he did, there's NO way he would have parted with it...must admit, I wouldn't either.

Cheers

Tony

Edit:

I spent 3 years restoring my 6, if I was offered 200,000 AUD, I still wouldn't sell... I have learned a lot restoring this car, I know EVERY nut and bolt....no way could I sell it, it's part of my life.

Edited by Tony Millward

Hi Andy and everyone else

I've seen this car and it is simply superb, immaculate in fact... 9 years of your life and

I remember you telling me, Andy that you would never do another ! But if the amount

of money was good enough it would pay for a half decent 250 or 5 possibly with enough

left over as a deposit on a house ? Best of both worlds ? But when you say 'a very

large pile of banknotes' your 250 has to be worth somewhat well in excess of £25k as

a minimum and is probably worth more than £30k, it is that good.

Personally, nobody could blame you for keeping it (if possible then I would) and to hell

with the money but on the other side of the coin you have to live with 'she who must be

obeyed' as wives have been coined or, as the Arabs call her, The Minister of the Interior.

Good luck whatever you decide... just let us know the final outcome please.

And finally, you missed a great Brunel bbq in August, next year perhaps. Be nice to see you...

with or without your 250 !

Regards

Rob

Thanks for the kind words Rob, and yes, I clearly remember saying that I would never do another. But the red 6 is looking quite sad and I am going to need something else to do when I finally get shot of the kids. Having said that, I also clearly remember telling the "minister of the interior" that we were going to build a house when I retired from the current job. Me and my big mouth.

The fat lady is not singing yet, the thought of a blast to the Classic Le Mans is sorely tempting and, as yet, there is no pressure from the boss. But you are right Neil, I derived enormous pleasure from rebuilding it and have enjoyed every mile driven, but the family must come first.

Andy

Hi Andy,

It will be worth more next year, and the year after that, etc. etc.

I've only had two of them and have no plans to sell either one 37 years after acquiring the 1st. They're not worth what they cost to restore but when I lose interest I'll let mine go for the going rate ( which amount others have suggested above as of now ).

I realize that it's a luxury to keep any toy and it must be anguishing to let one go due to financial concerns. I guess that's why I don't have more valuable ones! In any case, it's easily arguable that they'll appreciate more than many investments today, so the longer held the better -_-

Glastonbury is better off with a TR250 in residence IMO ;)

I couldn't do it, especially a 5.

Ask Andrew for advice , he had the guts to do it.

Come on Jimbo, Andrew didn't have a '5' and if he did, there's NO way he would have parted with it...must admit, I wouldn't either.

Andy,

I'm often asked how I could have sold VUX when it is such a well built and reliable car; the paint finish is outstanding - it ticks all the right boxes and a car anybody would want. I can't argue with any of that.

I didn't have any intention to sell VUX until I was offered an original spec 1999 BMW M3 Evo Convertible (one of the very last made) at a price I couldn't refuse; it's a modern classic and needs a little TLC to make perfect/concours (BMW Club GB have already asked me to show it), plus I cured a potential engine problem for £40 and not a replacement Vanos system etc as suspected at circa £3 - 4k which was the risk I took on purchase, but I digress.

Selling VUX was an easy decision for me. I had had fun in it, put 9,500 miles on it in three years (the last owner took 10 years to do that mileage!) with about 5,000 of those last year including a trip to the South of France and Classic Le Mans.

VUX was my third TR6 and sixth TR and the best one I had ever owned in terms of build quality and reliability, but I didn't have any emotional attachment to it because unlike all my other TRs I hadn't put any blood sweat and tears into it, someone else had done all the hard graft and I was just left to enjoy it. Ok, I did do some improvements but nothing like the emotional and financial investment I put into the others, particularly TuRK which will never be sold.

However, selling almost all of my other TRs did take a degree of 'guts' (as Jim puts it) and I did feel an emotional pull but at the end of the day you must take the decision that is right for you (and your family) and you need to make it quickly, be ruthless and stick by it.

Cheers

Andrew

PS, to answer Tony; if VUX had been a TR5 yes it still would have gone for the same reasons above.

304221_4435024108933_1371742300_n.jpg

Edited by Andrew Smith

Hi Andy

I know it's an old saying but it's true.

LIFE ISN'T ALL ABOUT MONEY.

It's about the things we achieve family and friends. You're daughter will find her deposit. You will never replace the hard work that went into this car and nobody will ever understand the feelings we have for cars and things we collect over the years.

My elderly father who can no longer see well enough to use the woodworking tools he has collected, still gets pleasure from looking and remembering using them in past years, would you ask him to sell them if they were worth a few quid. No and neither will you're daughter.

Spend time with them not money.

Regards Mark.

I know it's an old saying but it's true.

LIFE ISN'T ALL ABOUT MONEY.

It's about the things we achieve family and friends. You're daughter will find her deposit.

Andy,

Mark is right, life isn't all about money, but it's also true that money gives you (and your family) choices. My eldest son (24) and his girlfriend Steph (22) live with us, as they are saving for a house deposit. Like you, them moving out is part of my retirement plan but there is no way they will have saved the £24k (10%) deposit required within the two years they would like to move out (Gov't assistance is not wanted). Renting is not an option as they would never be able to afford their own house then. Yes, they could put down 5% (£12k), but it's about maximising their equity.

So, the deal is that we will give them 50% of the deposit if they save the rest within two years - this incentive is the only way they will have enough to move out sooner rather than never..............

Cheers

Andrew

PS - no, I'm not a closet early morning forumite or lurker, I've got up to do some work - so best get on with it I suppose!

Edited by Andrew Smith

Wow £240000 house as 1st house.........!

You do what you feel best regarding the car. At the end of the day it's a bit of metal.

If you feel the urge again then build one.

Money doesn't buy happiness but it helps you and your loved ones every now and then :)

Tom

Wow £240000 house as 1st house.........!

Yep, at 24 and 22 they are earning reasonable money Tom. That said, they won't get too much for that round these parts..............maybe a nice 2 bed end of terrace in a desirable location, or a 3 bed in a less so.

Compare Nottingham Link with Farnham (Surrey) Link

Cheers

Andrew

No need, it feels like we're already living on the set...............but it's what you do for your kids, isn't it?

Cheers

Andrew

Not necessarily.., but it's everyone to their own views really.

I left home at 18, to university 400 miles away. Apart from that my feelings of what was important in life

was becoming very different to my parents, and it was time to go.

For me, parents have a responsibility to raise their kids the best way they can, and to try to make sure

they have a decent start in life.., education.

Cars, houses in a 'desirable location'...., uh, no..... if they want these things, then it's up to children to do the work

to acquire them.

And living in rented flats, or bedsits is not some kind of awful purgatory.

Yeah I fully understand about the housing situation.

They seem like they have there head screwed on that's for sure :)

Tom

Not necessarily.., but it's everyone to their own views really.

I left home at 18, to university 400 miles away. Apart from that my feelings of what was important in life

was becoming very different to my parents, and it was time to go.

For me, parents have a responsibility to raise their kids the best way they can, and to try to make sure

they have a decent start in life.., education.

Cars, houses in a 'desirable location'...., uh, no..... if they want these things, then it's up to children to do the work

to acquire them.

And living in rented flats, or bedsits is not some kind of awful purgatory.

Andrew(amclpreston)

I don't personally know any of you being a new member to the forum and being located in the colonies, but I enjoy this forum and what it offers, connections, advice, friendship and camaraderie around the globe

I'm with you, our obligation as parents is to equip our kids to deal with life, not to equip their lives

I remember not being able to afford to heat our home and driving around in my old MG (which I had paid for by doing mowing and carpentry jobs while at Uni) to scavenge old pallets to burn in the chimney we'd uncovered in the house. Didn't hurt me, taught me that if you want anything you need to work for it.

I've got 4 kids, all emerging adults now, happy to assist but it's their journey, their lessons, and they will be better off for working, struggling a little (not starving, or missing health care etc) and being able to buy their own TR when they can. I'm sure everyone on here has worked hard to earn their TR(s) and I wish them well enjoying them

I want the best for my kids, but their choices and the consequences of them are theirs, and their lessons will shape who they are and how they contribute to society

Andy Clarke I wish you and your kids the best and hope you all achieve what you feel is important and "right" for your family

Graze

Edited by Graze

I agree as parents we should equip our children with life skills and core values, but disagree with the sentiment that because our generation (or previous) may have had to struggle in life then it won't hurt our children to do likewise. The world has changed, our children (and us) are faced with mass unemployment, global recession and Banks/Build Societies make it difficult for first time buyers to get on the property ladder without a large deposit. But if you believe the Gov't spin then we are pulling ourselves out of it, so that's all good then and the future is looking rosy; I see very little evidence of that other than the housing market seems to be picking up which will make it even harder to buy a first property.

I guess it boils down to whether, as parents, we are in a position to financially help our children and have the will to do so.

Cheers

Andrew

Same here Andrew, there is a lot more money* going into the housing market here than when we were in that (purchasing) age bracket.

Our place cost about twice the annual salary in 1968, now it would sell for 8 or 9 times. Makes it a hell of a lot harder for young couples.

In addition the 'job for life' (being a Serviceman has its advantages eh!) setup has changed to 2 or 3 careers, if you manage to get into career 2 or 3.

We are lucky in that the two male kids got into the real estate market just at the start of it going nuts.

* here the 'baby boomers' (post '45) surge is supposed to be the cause of all the excess investment money, but it is pretty obvious that heaps is coming in from overseas as well. Plenty from the oil rich areas and where ever else is doing well at the time. Europe, esp Germany, then Japan, now China. Think we are going to have a generation of kids who will never own there own home, which over here is called the 'Australian Dream'.