Cockpit view of race prepared car

Hi Does anyone have photos of their TR6/TR5 dash please, I was wondering where best to set up gauges/rev counters switches etc. Are there any recommends for type of gauge other than the 4 fitted as standard? Rev counter mechanical or electronic? Also would anyone recommend a overdrive box on the car or should it be normal 4 speed? So many questions.....

Hope someone can help, cheers Andy

Fantastic, just what I was after. One question is that a brake pipe passing down the side of the tunnel?

Yes it is, you are allowed to run fuel & brake lines inside.

The car had competed like that for the last 7 years with no problem. It has competed in club championship and competed in the spa summer classic this year.

Tom

Hi Tom, sorry to be a pain but do you have a photo of where the cage passes through the rear firewall as well, i'm struggling to work out how to do that one. Andy

Tom may be this is a grey area then because i have seen a well known car not allowed to race because the pipes were not protected by a cover.They were bradded as well.

ROY

Andy, it won't let me upload the files, they are to big!! I have tried via Photobucket & basically given up trying to upload pics to this forum lol

If you send me your email addy via pm I will ping some pics over for you :)

Roy,

That's very interesting....... Thanks for the heads up!

Tom

Roy

I've run my brake pipe inside on a similar route to Tom/Stiggy for several years without comment from the Scrutineers, though I threaded the Kunifer pipe through a clear plastic tube before fixing just to give it a bit of protection against being dinted by dropped tools. I'm aware of other cars having their brake lines in similar locations.

Tom

Is the 2nd pipe on your picture a fuel pipe?

Running that inside the car is something which, irrespective of what the Regulations may say I don't agree with. In the event of a fire I like that to be as far away from me as possible.

Andy/elclem1

For picture of Roll Cage through rear bukhead see Safety Devices website and look at their pattern 54 cage fixed into what I believe is Steve Hall's (TR Enterprises) rally TR4. One of photos shows it passing through rear firewall.

Dave McD

Dave,

Yes it's the fuel pipe.

Goodridge hard line. Alloy tube covered in a plastic coating. Not easy to break, fracture etc.

Tom

The strict rule is they must be protected. The fuel line is seeing as it has the plastic coating :) a very well known scruiteneer said if you paint the brake lines that passes as protected as there is a secondary coating on them!!!! Crazy I know

Tom

The strict rule is they must be protected. The fuel line is seeing as it has the plastic coating :) a very well known scruiteneer said if you paint the brake lines that passes as protected as there is a secondary coating on them!!!! Crazy I know

Tom

Tom

It is :o a very good friend of mine is a class 1 /F1 scrutineer been doing it 45 years and he would fail it

I must be a member of the idiot school here :P when competing as I did ALL pipes inside the car had to be covered and treated the same as the firewall

I think that was the exact point why they refused the car i mentioned permission to race.This was built by a professional motorsport company as well.

Ok several cars do have pipes inside there cars, and i have the fuel pipe inside with no comments being made but it is braided .This dose not make it right though.To be refused a pass and no races would be disappointment.

Which has the highest flash point fuel or brake fluid ?

ROY

Edited by roy53

Petrol has a very low flash point of around -45C, whereas brake fluid has a much higher flash point, typically upwards of 120C . . . . pump fuel flash point does not vary that much between brands, a few degrees only, whereas that of brake fluid can be anything from 100 to 160C.

Need I add that brake fluid does burn well, as of course does glycol coolant, washer fluid, and just about every other fluid on board.

Seems crazy to me to run fluid lines of any description through the car, but maybe you need first hand experience to appreciate that.

Cheers

Alec

Maybe inside fuel and brake lines have crept into race cars from rallying, cars used for both disciplines maybe, us rally boys have always had all the plumbing inside the car including dry sump lines, fuel lines have to have some sort of second sleeving and proper unions going thru bulklheads.

Theory is all well and good here but consider what would happen in PI car if say the gearbox mainshaft broke or the front propshaft UJ failed- both of which I have experienced?

Where are your brakes & fuel when you've smashed the fuel line on the chassis alongside the rear brake line also? Try stopping in anger when you've got 100psi of fuel being pumped with effectively no brakes as well??!!!!

It's happened to me but there was no major drama since ALL lines were routed inside the car from day one- with no scrutineer disagreement.

No doubt plenty will disagree, coz it says this or that in the book but until something like this happens you probably don't think about it!!

See MSA Yearbook 2013 (aka "The Blue Book") J.5.10.1 and J5.13.1,and J 5.13.2

AND meanwhile - back to the original post!!! Here is another dash - note carefully the belgian francs for emergency bladder release at the Zolder collection area!!!!!

Edited by alan57