Gearbox Selectors Repaired and New Polycarb Tunnel

Finally got my car back together having adjusted the tension on the gearbox selector rods. Gearbox is now working like a dream with 'rifle bolt' action. In the end I decided to tension the rods by feel rather than a spring balance (I haven't got one for a start) not quite textbook but works well enough.

So if anyone else gets jammed selectors I can give advice and provide a complete set of new springs, ball bearings etc. etc. that in the end weren't needed.

I also decided to replace my moth-eaten fibreglass tunnel with a new polycarb plastic version from Moss. Not cheap, about £100 but has made a huge difference - much quieter and no engine fumes.

Next up is nearside door glass that doesn't fit. I think it might be a TR6 interloper as the front top corner is too high and the rear top corner too low. I will take it out and run over to Moss for a comparison with the TR4A replacement.

Other new parts added include door handles, boot hinges, side repeaters, rear lights, dashboard, high backed reclining seats, carpets, classic stereo, windscreen cap, starter motor and floor mounted pod speakers..

What should I do with the old lights, dashboard, handles etc. They're quite pitted/need refurb hence the replacements but are they any use to anyone?

TR5/6 door glass is a different shape to a 4/4a one.

Stuart.

That is news to me, as some one who lives(d) by part numbers.

The Pt No for a door glass only has always been 750163. TR4 to TR6. The shape change must be one of Triumphs little in service mods to help with something that they decided did not need a pt no change for, as the newer style could be retro fitted if needed.

They did the same on the steering idler lever, the pin and arm assy on the TR2/3 - They increased the thread length by a couple of threads to make it screw further into the idler housing, and last longer but did not change the part number of the assembly nor its components. Certainly caught me out when having the items made as the used samples I was using for test did not conform to the factory drawing. C&B remade the item to sample rather than drawing.

Cheers

Peter W

Hi Pete,

back in the 90's when rebuild the Rustbucket Moss explained that the 4/4A glass was not available. Have the TR5/6 glass and make it fit.

later in the 2000's the 4A became available for the first time in many mnay years.

Roger

The glass was changed due to the change of winder mechanism AFIK . I had the same problem when I re-built my 4a in the early 90`s and was told the same thing as Roger "Get over it as this is all there is!".

Stuart.

Dave Ferguson (ex. Northern TR) had a batch of TR4 glass made in the early 2000's. I bought a pair from him, but he coudn't get the main suppliers interested in them.

AFAIK, these 20 pairs were the only ones made to TR4 spec.

Cheers

Graeme