Clocking the speedo.

I,ve discovered having gone through old MOT,s and receipts that the car I bought has falsified documents to show that the speedo mileage should be considerably more than that shown.

I bought the car privately 6 years ago.

Anyone with any advice?

The speedo could have been replaced, a TR or eurobox? If a classic then I would buy on condition and not mileage although if it claimed to be a low miles original it would make the price higher.

If its a eurobox then contact the dvla to see what their records show although after 6 years I doubt they would be interested.

Hi.

If the car was sold at a price on the basis of it's mileage being warranted, then you may have scope for a pursuit.

However, if like me, you have a speedo fail and you replace it (with either a new or secondhand unit), then there's a good chance you will get different numbers through the MOTs etc. As PJM says, you buy these cars on condition if there isn't a good thread of MOTs, service history etc.

Andy

Thanks for the comments.I probably didnt explain myself correctly.The hand written MOT and receipts have been doctored by someone overwriting the milage reading by changing the first digit of the mileage reading from a nine to an eight thereby 99000 becomes 89000 miles.Fraudulent I would have thought.

Caveat emptor, especially when it comes to a private sale - a motor trader is subject to more rigorous regulation than a private seller.

6 years down the line from purchase . . . . . . ? That's a tad late for arguing the toss about documentation. Any documentation relevant to the sale should have been carefully scrutinised before, or at worst soon after, purchase.

There might just be good reason for an overwritten figure - if the garage has made a mistake, for example, writing a mileage on a form. The speedo may have been changed, or not recording accurately.

In any case, when you bought the car it was 30 years old minimum. 10K miles on 100K is neither here nor there at 30 years old, the recorded mileage may well not be accurate for all the usual reasons, and it's the condition that matters and determines the value..

There are better things in life to worry about ! :D

Cheers

Alec

I would guess that unless the (poss 40 year old car?) has a warranted mileage of just a few thousand which would inflate the price considerably, there was no advantage to be gained by the seller in altering a 99,000 mile car to 89,000. Now if it had been "doctored" from 99,000 to 29,000….well that's a different story.

Either way, as Alec says 6 years is too long ago to worry about it.

Simon

ps, my speedo has read 40,000 for the past 3 years at MOT time!….I really should get round to fixing it but I enjoy driving it too much!

But then, Disconnecting Mechanical Speedos was the norm in days gone by...so Classic cars should be judged on how they run, not mileage like an everyday car. Old cars like ours will have had so many new components and rebuilds over the years anyway...Mind you some fanatical owners might have kept a log of everything ever done by date and mileage like I've done for the past 42 years.