Injector pipes- replacing nylon tubes

Hi,

Having purchase replacement 6mm nylon tube from Pirtek, although slightly smaller than the original 1/4 tube, what's the best way to heat up the tube ends to push the pipe onto the Injector /metering unit fittings. Using hotwater or heat gun does not give enough control, so when attempting to press on the fitting the tube colaspes. Any tips appreciate.

Thanls Rich

Hi Rich

You should not heat or treat the pipes in anyway, they are a press fit and quite awkward to do. I had new one's made by Prestige Injection but you could give Neil Ferguson a ring (K Raven Smith on this forum) 07977 001571 he is very knowledgeable and brilliant at all thing Pi. Very quick turn around he did my MU and injectors at very reasonable price. Others may be along soon with a more DIY approach.

All the best.

Dip in hot water - the hoses will cope with moderate heat without de-naturing - they have to under the bonnet. Don't use a flame or a heat gun.

The key is to clamp the hose up properly between 2 wooden blocks - put the blocks in a vice - run a suitable sized drill bit down the middle of them so you have a cylindrical groove - half on each block that you can lay the pipe in and clamp.

The drill bit needs to be just smaller than the outside diameter of the pipe so it grips it without crushing it. Have just a little protruding beyond the block and tap the union gently with a small hammer.

Some of the old pipe flaring tools will do the job too but not many have them.

Edited by andymoltu

See the Lucas Service Training centre manual for PI

http://www.lucasinjection.com/Lucas%20Mk2%20manual%20page%2029.htm

Quote, "Note: The pipe must not be heated and the union assembly should be fitted cold."

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Thanks guys for the replies. Helpfull.

Sorry but is there a contact number for Neil Furguson, who I guess can undertake rebuilding the hoses.

Incidentally, the reason why I want to refurbish these hoses is to replace the SS braided hoses that I have on the car as I suffer badly with the problem of starting the car after say a couple of weeks layup. It can take quite some time to get the car firing which is indicative of perhaps the SS pipes draining down or holding heat which vaporises the fuel when the engine is left hot. Once the engine fires up on all 6, its fine and no problem restarting unless as I say its left for say a couple of weeks

Any comments?

Thanks Rich

If you,like alott of other are having probs with heat soak, leading to air in pipes,

then why dont you address the problem,instead of just going and dooing what every one else has done,

then they complain.......Ive got a miss fire, any clues. !!!!

Make yer own pipes up, make em to your own size, NOT the size of OE ones.

Make em so they dont sit owa the rocker box, but fed around the rear bulk head.

away from all radiated heat sources.

I did this on mine, Dads PI,s when he run em, and it helped alott with town work.

moer so on mine than the PI though.

M