Carb changeout

After much thought I decided to switch from webers back to SU's for my TR6. I found a guy selling the complete manifold and carbs for 100.00 US and decided to make the change. After ten minutes I discovered that the previous owner had also changed the exhaust manifold as well and in order to make it fit he ground off two of the studs on the block to get the aftermarket manifold to fit. What should have been a 4 to 5 hour job is now going to be a weekend just to make it right.

Can I ask why you're swapping given the webers have a good reputation. I'm starting a rebuild here in the UK, and have a Pi setup but it needs rebuilding. I was wondering whether I should/could go with webers ?

I want to get the car back to a original condition car (or as close as I can). The Weber’s on my car will cause me to fail the smog check and in my opinion look out of place in the engine bay, so I need to make the change.

Can I ask why you're swapping given the webers have a good reputation. I'm starting a rebuild here in the UK, and have a Pi setup but it needs rebuilding. I was wondering whether I should/could go with webers ?

You could go with Webers, but it would cost way more than refurbing a PI set up.

Amusingly I have a set of Strombergs, the full PI kit (at last), now just need to lay my hands on a dizzy for the PI as the ones I've got are for carbs. The PI kit needs a complete rebuild pump, MU, injectors PRV.

I was considering slapping on the Strombergs (also have the inlet and linkage for them) as they are in the garage; then getting the gearbox,axle, engine back together , wiring etc etc just to get it running and then decide which way to go.

The engine was rebuilt 10 years ago and was an American CF engine, apparently lightened and balanced, new flywheel and clutch, its alsohad a PI head put on it .....but never run.....hence my quandary.....

Happily the chassis is like new and the dry state body is rust free, suspension and brakes all rebuilt and new as well.

I have no issues with using Weber carbs but when I bought my car I had intended to restore the car to a original configuration. One item that does bother me is in order to install the Weber's you will need to hammer on the front right wheel well to make room and make some accommodations for emissions equipment pluming

If yours is a late car then you should have the full length depression on the arch anyway so the Webers should fit with the correct choice of air filters.(FWIW they will fit the earlier half depression anyway.)

Stuart.

I thought '75 and prior TR6s were exempt from CA smog tests - maybe you could set the record straight, Bob :huh: .

As for the carbs themselves, Webers will run at least as clean as S.U.s or Strombergs when calibrated optimally. The factory Strombergs will have the necessary connections for the emissions equipment however.

I don't know what a P.I. refurb costs, but maybe Bob will give you a deal on his Webers, Robin ^_^ . A guy local to me recently got a set of vintage Italians with manifold for under $300. I'm partial to these myself, and have done over 100K miles on a very old set I got for $200 ( sans manifold though ) in 1994, cleaned but never rebuilt.

I thought '75 and prior TR6s were exempt from CA smog tests - maybe you could set the record straight, Bob :huh: .

As for the carbs themselves, Webers will run at least as clean as S.U.s or Strombergs when calibrated optimally. The factory Strombergs will have the necessary connections for the emissions equipment however.

I don't know what a P.I. refurb costs, but maybe Bob will give you a deal on his Webers, Robin ^_^ . A guy local to me recently got a set of vintage Italians with manifold for under $300. I'm partial to these myself, and have done over 100K miles on a very old set I got for $200 ( sans manifold though ) in 1994, cleaned but never rebuilt.

My car is a 1976 which does require smog testing, 1975 and back does not require smog testing as of now but there was a rumor that even this will change and all gas powered autos will require smog testing of some type here in California.

Bob, still interested in your Webers so let me know if, when you change, thanks

Bob, still interested in your Webers so let me know if, when you change, thanks

Robin I think you may find that they are twin downdraught ones, quite a common conversion in the US.

Stuart.

Well spotted that man, Ok will wait to hear more. Just to clarify I'm after some (3) ie triple Weber DCOE 40 151 (side draft)

Edited by RobinTR6

If yours is a late car then you should have the full length depression on the arch anyway so the Webers should fit with the correct choice of air filters.(FWIW they will fit the earlier half depression anyway.)

Stuart.

The previous owner did use the hammer alteration method that I will need to fix at some point

What a difference the SU's Stromberg's have made. The TR6 runs in a much more civilized manner now and performance difference is night and day. I'm very happy with the change and I honestly think my TR6 has gone from a grumpy old man back to a happy middle aged runner. Now on to the drivetrain repairs

post-11842-0-65094100-1383323941_thumb.jpg

post-11842-0-65094100-1383323941_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobrogg