front suspension

I have reinstated the front suspension and found that it is at full extension on both sides making the body way up over the wheels.

The springs just seem to be too powerful and require a lot of compressing to fit. I can move the suspension up and down without the spring in place, and have confirmed that I have the shorter springs on the front with the taller ones on the rear.

I would appreciate any suggestions on what is wrong.

Many thanks

Martin

Have you rolled the car to and fro? Lowering it off jacks means the tyres touch the groundn in the full droop position and they cant spread out sideways to relieve that until you roll them.

Peter

Martin

Ali spacers present/installed?

When I rebuilt my first TR (a TR4 twenty odd years ago), and upon fitting the springs, that too was sitting far too high at the front... I disassembled the springs again to take the ali spacer that was originally fitted to the car (presuming they should be there), but the new springs must have been longer and consequently the spacers were not required. I didn't keep the original springs during the full rebuild, just purchasing new ones, so was unable to compare length...

Cheers

Ian

Edited by ianhoward

Did you tighten up all the mounting points with the suspension hanging? If so slacken them off, then place a trolley jack under each trunnion and get the weight of the car on the suspension, then tighten - on each side.

Many thanks for the replies to date.

I have remounted the suspension items that were dismantled only renewing bushes etc, there are no spacers for the shockers and the new isolators are both thinner than the old ones, all the mounting nuts are untightened and I can raise and lower the suspension by hand if the spring is not present, the stud on each lower arm is facing down and is inboard, if I jack up the suspension with the spring in the whole car goes up.

I just cannot sort out what the problem is.

Thanks

Martin

Many thanks for the replies to date.

I have remounted the suspension items that were dismantled only renewing bushes etc, there are no spacers for the shockers and the new isolators are both thinner than the old ones, all the mounting nuts are untightened and I can raise and lower the suspension by hand if the spring is not present, the stud on each lower arm is facing down and is inboard, if I jack up the suspension with the spring in the whole car goes up.

I just cannot sort out what the problem is.

Thanks

Martin

I have sent you a PM re photos

Cheers

GUY

If i jack up front suspension from under the pan, the suspension rises to a point then the jack will start to lift the car off the axle stands

Just a stab in the dark.

I have just put my front end back together new bushes trunnions tracked ends and antiroll bar linkages , have no engine or gearbox in at the moment and i am unable to connect track rod ends to the steering rack due to the angle, would this by any chance have anything to do with your problem. Could the track rod end be locked somehow.

Mark.

IMHO it can only be incorrect springs, given that your suspension articulates freely without them. Rubber bumper (pardon me) MGB front springs sometimes appear as uprated TR springs & some of the TT recommendations are, frankly, complete nonsense. Could you post any specs here, perhaps?

Leave antiroll bar links slack in the wishbone brackets, nuts on just a couple of threads; you should then have a chance of poking them through the bar eye & fitting the cups, bushes and nuts.

BTW if using rubber A/r bar-radiator tray bushes- lubricate liberally with brake grease or the bar will not work.

• 2 weeks later...

Chaps

Heres a few photos just received from Martin

19813571_zpsd058db64.jpg

19813568_zps3eb7d2f9.jpg

19813569_zps38af6191.jpg

19813570_zpsadf496b6.jpg

Well i think your top arms are the wrong way round, theres a picture in this thread

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/23241-upper-wishbone-arms/

Cheers

GUY

Edited by Jersey Royal

Martin

Measure your springs for length and diameter also

Heres standard spec

Front spring

Free length – 10.03 inches (261mm)
Wire diameter - 0.5 inches
Spring rate – 312 lb in
Number of working coils – 5 ¼

And

Rear spring

Free length – 10.92 inches (278mm)
Wire diameter - 0.5 inches
Spring rate – 349 lb in
Number of working coils – 6 3/4

Cheers

GUY

Edited by Jersey Royal

Definitely top arms the wrong way round which wont be doing his trunnions/uprights a lot of good.Best check the trunnions are the right way round as well.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

If that suspension articulates, then the entire suspension (except steering arms) has changed sides.

If it has somehow been forced together, i.e. lower suspension correctly handed & upper wishbones transposed, then it will barely move.

A mechanic of mine once fitted two lots of LH suspension to a 4A & it very nearly ended up in the ditch within yards of leaving the workshop.

Many thanks Guy for posting the pics which has lead to my error at the top being flagged up, and thank you everyone for your replies. I will check the spring info and change the arms around.

Cheers

Martin

Hey Martin,

A picture is worth a thousand words.

If you need anymore pictures put up, just e mail me as before

and will be done

Good Luck

Guy

Thanks for the spring info Guy.

My rear spring is 10.25 inches, 265 cm, just a bit more than stock, the spring wire is 0.5inch, which is the same as stock.

I counted the coils by standing the spring up with the ends facing away from me giving 7 coils on the nearside. Is this the same as 5.25 complete rings?

I don't know how to measure the compression rate.

Martin

Thanks for the spring info Guy.

My rear spring is 10.25 inches, 265 cm, just a bit more than stock, the spring wire is 0.5inch, which is the same as stock.

I counted the coils by standing the spring up with the ends facing away from me giving 7 coils on the nearside. Is this the same as 5.25 complete rings?

I don't know how to measure the compression rate.

Martin

Not sure to be honest Martin.

Think you count the total coils and take off two, but could be wrong. <_<

Spring rate , again think thats a measurement on how much load required to deflect the spring by 1 inch ? dont think

theres an easy or safe method for a DIY measurment.

Have you measured the length of front spring and compared it to stock size?

For you its just good to know the free lenght of both back and front springs , once car is completed and driven, suspension settled,

then look at the ride hight. Just my opinion.

Cheers

GUY

Cheers

GUY