Got caught out in the very heavy rain today and tried to put the hood on for the first time in 3 seasons. As expected it would not easily stretch to fit. Is the answer to connect up the hood then tension the frame fully from inside. I can not only use a vinyl hood in warm weather!

Thanks David.

The trouble with hoods they do tend to shrink and if you have not used it for 3 seasons it will be very tight.

Yes you must release the over centre on the hood frame before fitting, then snap it overcentre, if you manage to get the bugger hooked on to the fasteners!

To help fit it, sit it on a radiator and get it warm if there is no sunshine (like now)

Edited by TR24178

Hi David,

I would not personnaly advocate over centering the hood frame although it may seem the easy way. If you consider that for the frame to go over-centre it must stretch the hood and SEAMS. If you continue to fit this way I feel that the hood will eventually stretch to a point where it flaps but the seams will have stretched to a point where they leak.

Also IMHO opinion if you over-centre a tight hood you run a risk of pulling the fittings out or pulling the frame off the top of the screen.

I would get the hood as warm as you can and then fit it by erecting the frame and then pulling the hood over the fasteners. leave it for a week or so. Repeat the process a couple of times and then the hood should be closer to the fit that allows cold fitting. I would treat the seams at this point. I would also do this each season so that the hood does not shrink back again.

That is the way that I do mine and yes it is tight but it don't flap around.

Just my opinion but two or three other side screen owners recommended this method.

rgds

Rod

Here's a way to make fitting the hood a piece of cake, whether hot, cold, shrunken or otherwise.

Remove the webbing fixing screws from the hood spar immediately above the rear window. That spar now pivots back and forth.

Hoodsticks up, move the loose spar forward. The hood clips on in a jiffy.

Tighten the hood by pushing the loose spar back towards the rear window.

Viv

Hi Viv and David.

Yes that´s the way I do it and it is much easier to get the over centre to it´s erect position, and it is now a one man job to erect it. Also if the hood has shrunk. it means you can work it up in stages without forcing either the tenax on the windscreen or the lift the dots on the rear scuttle.

I have reversed the position of the first lift a dot fasteners after the sidescreens on both sides, as I found that the wind tends to lift the dots for you and cause the hood sides to flap.

Dave

A wise man grits his teeth, and wrestles with the hood on a monthly basis regardless of weather.

That way the damn thing stays stretched and works when you need it - same goes for the tonneau.

Cheers

Alec

Mon tonneau es tres tres tight, much teeter than le hood

I keep it stretched by having it wall mounted / stretched - 4 drilled holes /wall plugs then narrow screws through the lift a dot holes so as not to damage them, but keeps it stretched enough to make the extra bit of pull less tough.

Guy

You and your wife sure like working hard, looks like your wife needs her gardening gloves to save her hands. What happens if you are out on your own when you need to put the hood up? or do you just get wet!

If you do it like Viv and I, it is dead easy even on your own. Why don´t you just try it, it only requires undoing the four screws holding the webbing into the tensioning bar and leaving the bar forward until the over centre part is up, then push the bar back one side at a time if you are alone. If you don´t like it just put the four screws back and get wet.

Dave

hi Dave

Guy

. What happens if you are out on your own ...

Dave

hi Dave, I still can manage, proceeding side after side, but with more difficulties.

I have the feeling that the material of this old top (Amco, or something like that) is particulary thick and got stiffer with the years.

So, I'm going to test your method.

Thanks you (and Viv) for the tip.

Guy

Hi Preston

The same happens here in Spain for the heat. My TR3A was originally from Arizona hence no rust. Did you see that surrey type top´(like a beach buggy) on the current article about the British cars in San Francisco? If ever I have an old hood maybe that´s the way to go for better ventilation, or even knock one up.It´s funny how you can always learn things about weather protection. When at rainy Morges this year, I saw how the other sidescreens put the tonneau cover on,fixed only to the windscreen lift -a -dots. and laying loose over the seats as opposed to putting the sidescreens in, it worked perfectly, Not being used to the rain here I have never had to experience that before, so I learnt something.

Dave

Viv And Dave, I'm fitting my new hood just now and love your idea. Living in Arizona we get plenty of heat and sun. The hood goes up on the TR6 just to get out of the sun, I'm sure it will be the same for the TR3.

Same down here with the sun. My hood rarely leaves the boot unless it's bucketing down, or 40 degrees Celsius. The 3A runs happily whatever the temperature, but unfortunately there's no big electric fan for the driver.

Viv

Dave I did have reservations to go to San Fran but decided not to when I could not finish the 3 in time for the show.I could have taken the 6 but I guess I was not up to the 12 to 14 hour drive. I saw the car you mention on the British Car Forum here in the US and it looks like a good idea. I see a lot of jeeps around here with that set-up. In the 6 I just keep the windows down and zip out the back window. Viv I bet driving in Australia is like driving in the deserts of the Southwest. You want to make sure your car is in top notch condition because your surroundings are not very forgiving.

Hi Preston

As you don´t say where in Arizona you are, are you on the coast?

12-14 hours drive from you to Frisco seems endless, and I am contemplating driving down from Vernon in B.C. Canada as is Graeme from Vancouver Island, so I wonder what the mileage is and how long to get there if the speed limits are low, any idea?

Our recent trip to Morges in Switzerland takes about 16-18 hours over two days each way, with the overnight stops both in France, we live in South east Spain about 520 miles from the border and we stop about 100 miles further on in Montpelier, so the distance is not a problem. Unfortunately it will have to be in a hired car not our TR3A.

Dave

Hi Dave the closest coast from Phoenix Arizona is the Sea of Cortez in Mexico 219 miles or Rocky Point to the locals. To the Pacific ocean 354 miles. Are you saying you are going from Vancouver to San Fran if so 950 miles depending on how you drive and traffic minimum 20 hours. I think I would fly.

Hi Preston

I was getting my geography wrong, mixing up Arizona with Oregon for the coast bit.

The 950 miles wouldn´t worry me, I want to drive it, then I would be able to add it to my first drive from the Mexican Border to Frisco that would then be the full length (not width) of U.S.A.and I belioeve from Graeme on Vancouver Island that that part is the prettiest section of the American Pacific Coastline. Maybe I´m mad but I lowe the sea and the coastline, here where I live the Med. is only 30kms away.

Dave

Hi Dave,

You are right, it is a beautiful drive down the coast, if you'r not in a hurry. We took five days to get to Anaheim, just enjoying the trip and stopping here and there on the way down. We are planning to go to Triumphest next year but will do it a bit quicker, probably three days.

Cheers

Graeme

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a way to make fitting the hood a piece of cake, whether hot, cold, shrunken or otherwise.

Remove the webbing fixing screws from the hood spar immediately above the rear window. That spar now pivots back and forth.

Hoodsticks up, move the loose spar forward. The hood clips on in a jiffy.

Tighten the hood by pushing the loose spar back towards the rear window.

Viv

Just tried this, but the whole frame assembly behaves like the English Cricket team - keeps collapsing - what am i doing wrong ?

hi McM,

are you sure you withdraw the correct screws?

See the yellow arrows, below

Thanks Frenchy,

Yup those were the ones, but when I fold down the back bar slightly it seems to prevent the mechanism from holding its shape ??

I will try again later and see if i was missing something

My 'techniqueue' may have been wrong ??