SPARE WHEEL COVER LOCK

I've developed a locking system for my spare wheel cover. All it entails is using a glove box lock

and modifying it as shown in the photo's.

Photo. 1 shows the lock with modified latch:

DSCF1229.jpg

Photo. 2 shows the guide at the top of the cover:

DSCF1350.jpg

Photo. 3 shows the receiver welded to the top of the opening:

DSCF1361.jpg

The following photo's show the locking mechanism (locked/unlocked):

DSCF1372.jpg

DSCF1358.jpg

DSCF1345.jpg

DSCF1368.jpg

DSCF1221.jpg

An excellent modification Tom. I lost a very good spare wheel cover some time ago when one of the catches, the bit welded to the wheel pan at the side, broke away. Your mod would have prevented the cover falling off.

Never did get my cover back, even though my registration number was painted directly onto it! :(

Les

Hi Tom,

Have you noticed the droopy door handles that sometimes occur on the 3a here my solution for the issue. A positive stop against the return spring so that the handles always sits level. This is normally only the pressing on the door frame for this. Used a piece of tube cut at an angle either side of the frame to keep the bolt at the right angle.

Quarterpanel.jpg

Edited by Rodbr

"You can get these things jamming, only move one way and then stick,"

If the pivot is slightly off-centre that stops the actuating arm reaching a vertical position, let alone going over centre, and sticking is unlikely.

Once the design is satisfactory, fitted and working, take it apart again and spray all the moving parts with PTFE dry lubricant. Then apply a very small amount of white grease to the moving parts. Reassemble and refit.

It won't stick.

Cheers

Alec

I had my spare wheel stolen from underneath my Citroen. This would safeguard your spare wheel. What is really annoying is that I passed a man carrying a wheel as I approached the car. By the time I realised he had disappeared.

This is a very well made lock, well done.

Tom, nice fabrication work. Did you think about installing lock cylinders in place of the coach key locks on the sides? That might have knocked off two birds with one key.

Of course, things like a clutch pedal and Dzus keys are probably pretty high security against today's thieves...