Interesting old engine

I suspect that it is an agricultural or industrial engine.

The block looks Vanguard / TR due to the starter motor position and the water pump fan and starting handle guide are Fergy tractor.

If the orange paint is original it could point to an Allis Chalmers agricultural implement.

It would be interesting to know what the compression ratio is, as this would determine if it is petrol / petrol parafin or TVO.

If I had to guess, I would say, combine harvester and it is TVO fueled.

If it was nearer I would be interested at the right price.

The block casting for the Fergie is massively thick, as it is a structural member connecting the front axle to the rear end of the tractor (beating Formula One constructors by several decades!), and the starter motor was on the left of petrol-engined versions. The tractor, which was governed to not exceed 2000 rpm, had semi-circular inlet and exhaust ports.

Ian Cornish

Fitting more head gaskets was a cheap way of dropping the compression ration so that parafin, TVO and even Lamp Oil could be used. Apparently these DIY methods were used to enable lower priced fuels to be used in Fergy TEA20 tractors which were straight petrol....as mine is.......due to the cost of petrol becoming excessive for farm use.

In a non tractor application the engine was probably not have been a structural part of the machine hence the hybrid of car and agricultural parts.

Certainly isn't of Moggie origin, the +4 had either a V prefix Vanguard engine or a TS (and later CT) prefix TR engine.

Vanguards had the water pump mounted fan, as did Ensigns.

FL is not a prefix I can recall having come across before, and FL2E is a very low number whatever the original application might have been, so it may have some historical significance ?

Hopefully Bill P or Graham R might have the answer ?

Cheers

Alec