My appointment as Registrar for the marque Triumph Italia was confirmed by the Committee on Sunday.

I look forward to working with the club, Italia owners and enthusiasts, and anyone who wants to know more about these fine and rare cars.

My library of information about Italias is growing daily, and I hugely enjoy the International appeal of them to owners & restorers worldwide.

The published pool of documentation is slim, mainly because the Italian factory records are lost or destroyed, but traces of chassis and engine numbers through the established Standard Triumph archives is a good start, and more needs to be done.

I have already established a database of cars and owners through an email list, and am happy to add any interested parties at any time.

It's a two way deal - I tell you what I know and you tell me when you discover any and everything about a Triumph Italia. Together we build for the future.

Since finding my own Italia earlier this Summer, I have discovered 3 more Italias that were previously not recorded. I am also contributing to the pool of knowledge around the world which is being collated and published by the only website with up to date information and active maintenance. Now parts are being manufactured, sources for unavailable parts have been documented, and NOS parts still pop up from time to time for diligent searchers.

Next time you feel hard done by when the Triumph catalogue is missing some tiny detail, consider how you would get on if there were no catalogues of any kind, and the only thing to go on was a grainy picture of a car that might not even be original. Only last week I tracked down and saw the final missing Italia on British soil, and the brave restorers have their hands full modelling new parts from photographs as we speak.

The really good news for Italia owners is that they can rely on the trusted TR3 rolling chassis & engine to give a head start to the project. Many an Italia would be gone forever if the owner had to find anything really bespoke to put the bodyshell onto! They are getting expensive to buy, they are getting even harder to find, but they are really cheap to run and maintain and fun to drive so they qualify in every sense as a fully paid up member of the TR Register.

Cheers,

Good show Paul, the modest Italia fraternity have never had much of a network in the Register, not compared to that which has quietly developed around the Swallow Doretti marque over the past 40 years. Survival rates of the two marques must be pretty similar I'd guess, certainly production numbers were of similar size.

As for electing Registrars . . . . . Registrars have always been appointed by committee, and this is probably still the best procedure.

The labours of the Registrars are central to the founding raison d'etre of the TR Register, " to preserve the marque TR ".

Conscientiously, independently and faithfully, and now into the fifth decade, successive Registrars have objectively recorded detail of the cars and of the history. Their role as Registrars stands apart from and above the day to day management and politics of the club.

Cheers

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

Guys,

I'm happy to clarify.

No Registrar has a Committee position or any voting rights on any management issue.

No Registrar regularly attends Committee Meetings or is even given minutes by right.

I would be the first to volunteer that any officer of the Club should be approved by the Members if that's what the Members want.

If another candidate for Italia Registrar came along at any time I would expect to be judged on merit alone, and happy to have an election contest if I thought I should keep the job.

I have accepted the role under the current rules and shall do it to the best of my abilities.

PS. If the role of Italia Registrar had been a Committee position, I could not have accepted it at the moment.

Edited by Paul Harvey