Well, after reading up on the subject I opted for a cork gasket and Wellseal.

I hadn't heard of, or tried Wellseal before, and it did sould like the stuff to use from what I had read.

What a disaster

In my opinion its like trying to seal the sump with golden syrup, although after lying on my back under the car I'm certain that Tate and Lyles finest is a damn sight easier to get out of your hair!

Theres obviously a fair bit of give in the cork gasket, thats the whole point of using one I guess, to take up any imperfections in the sealing surfaces.

I was clearly a bit heavy handed and ended up splitting the gasket due to over tightening - I found it difficult when doing the bolts up not to give it one turn to many "just for good measure"

The overall result was that the job looked a total mess on completion - as I did, with more evil wellseal on me than there was on the gasket - and it leaked like a sieve.

After ridding my tools of the well seal, and cleaning up all the sticky patches on the garage floor, for round 2 I went with what my heart had been telling me I should have used in the first place - a paper gasket and hylomar.

Text book installation, no leaks and no Deepwater Horizon style clean up afterwards

I'm quite sure that Wellseal and cork does a wonderful job in the right hands - buts its certainly not suited to my operating methods!

Old fashioned stuff Wellseal but has the advantage that you can spread a thin even layer.

I do this on both gasket and metal and wait for it to evaporate to just off touch dry.

Worked on my OD but this was perfectly clean and easy access.

Better modern Loctite stuff for in service repairs.

You should only need a really thin smear, then resist the temptation to banjo the **** out of the bolts to get them tight.

You only need to compress the cork not crush it. New anti-rattle washers will help too.

I too had to resort to the cork gasket and it has worked well to iron-out the distortions in the sump (it's worth trying to flatten-out to worst of them if you can).

Cheers

Ade

No experience with TR4 sumps, but are they that different form TR6's?

In those, I always find that the DPO, or even I, have tightened the bolts too much. and that the bolt holes are now proud of the surface along the rest of the rim. Dressing these back with a light hammer, against a suitable dolly does much to seal the gap.

I use a piece of 1/4" steel strip, but anything that will fit in a vice, present a flat surface and withstand a little hammering will do. Just tap around the bolt hole until it looks flat to the rest of the sump edge.

John

Stuart,

Wellseal works fine - IF - you use a small brush or finger to lightly coat one surface of the gasket and the sump face (flattened as advised earlier) then when touch dry stick gasket to sump. Same again to second gasket face and the clean lower edge of the engine block. Apply sump to engine and go gently on the spannering. There's not much pressure inside the crankcase so no need to gorilla the bolts and as the Wellseal is dry there should be no drips.

That said, I have only ever used the thick paper gasket on my sumps and not had a problem with those, as long as the sump face is flat.

Good luck, lets hope it stays oil tight now!

Willie