Cam and timing query

My project has a rebuilt CF series engine with a CP head. The cam i(I've been told) is a CP cam. Ive transposed the timing dots from the old top large sprocket wheel to a new large top sprocket and followed the brown bible to set that up (ie align it with the bottom crank sprocket at TDC) and then do the valve timing. Will that be OK.

I'm just a bit concerned that I'm not completely sure which cam is in there an early CP one or a later 125BHP one, will this make any material difference.

In case youre wondering I'm no engine man....

Hi Robin, "Will it be OK?" .... not really, you have to identify the cam you have first.

CP cam ... 150BHP No. 307689 this number should be stamped on the body of the cam somewhere near the mechanical fuel pump lobe.

timing for this cam is 36 65 65 36 and also identified by 2 rings on the front of the cam just by the drive sprocket

CR cam ... 125BHP No. 311399 timing 18 58 58 18 id. by 3 rings at the front

Any other make cam you still have to id it first.

As to setting it up you need a cam timing disc (360 degree protractor) bolted to the crank and a Dial Test Gauge (you can do by eye with lobes "on the rock" and equal valve clearances) but if you have a read of David Vizzard's description, in his book Tuning Triumphs over 1300cc, using a timing disc and a DTI all becomes clear.

Google D Vizzard Tuning Triumphs over 1300cc and go to pages 98 on-wards (it's for a 4 pot cam but the principal is the same).

Cheers Rob