What Will These Do To My Engine?

These have been in a drawer for 35 years, after we removed them from the tr2 when we first got it. Ram pipes, trumpets, whatever, they have no markings and was wondering if I polished them up and put them on my HS4s, what would happen. Too much junk in the engine?

Dan

image_zpsebb97d7d.jpg

Edited by 2long

Dan, ram's horn type trumpets marginally improve airflow into the carbs, but it's hardly measurable on a rolling road dyno.

Not a bad bling item, and with foam socks your engine would get cleaner air than the orginal mesh aircleaners.

See http://www.tr-register.com.au/Files/copelandk2.htm

Regards,

Viv

Hi Dan,

I've recently seen a chart giving theoretical benefits (and adverse) based on the length/diameter and the radiused bell mouth.

I'll try and find and post.

Roger

Have a look at this (stolen from the CT forum) http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachments/carburetor-systems-s30/49210d1320624773-power-cones-roundtop-carbs-su-hitachi-ram-pipe-stub-stack-flow.jpg

Edited by RogerH

I Kenya, where my TR3A originated, I would be wary of trumpets as it can be very dusty.

Here in UK I use them and don't get dirt in the carbs other than the very light deposit left by the petrol.

I'm sure they do make a difference. My originals had gauze over them which I was advised to remove by my local rolling road man. He reckoned they reduced the size of the carbs by 10%!

I would go ahead and use them, they look great.

Keep TRucking,

Willie