Gearbox Out Lots Of Oil.

The clutch saga continues. The box is now out and there seems to be reasonable amount of oil on it. Some of this is engine oil which I suspect has climbed out of the dipstick on the ignition side of the engine due to the inadequate closed circuit breathing system. But there is definitely some EP90 too. Not much but some. I will obviously check the breather hole, but is it worth going round and tweaking up the gearbox to overdrive nuts & bolts as there seems to be a bit of seepage here? Apart from to the casing or threads can I damage the OD by over tightening these?

Hi David, before you go tweaking nuts up check if oil is coming out of the selector shafts. Mine was also showing oil around the plate on the bottom of the overdrive and I thought it was leaking. It turns out that the O rings on the selector shafts were badly worn and the oil was running down onto the overdrive base plate.

To cure the shafts leaking I tried all sorts of O rings of differing sizes and none worked. I eventually had some O rings made with a square cross section. These fitted into the recess's where the normal O rings fit and they sealed perfectly.

Cheers

Tony

Forgive my ignorance, but are the selector shafts the long rods on top of the box.

Yes they are.

If you follow them back into the casing you will see a plate that the three rods go through, the seals are behind this plate.

Look at this site and scroll down 3/4 of the way you will see the seals

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Gearbox/GearboxCover/GearboxCover.htm

Cheers

Guy

• 2 months later...

Finally changed the seals and the box is back in. Other jobs preclude a test drive for some weeks. Will repost back after test drive which is likely to several weeks away.

Hi Bob,

Many of us have cut a large hole in the side of the tunnel adjacent to where the gearbox filler plug is. The size of the hole is the same as the big rubber bung (3"?) that is fitted in the floor, and a spare rubber bung was used to seal the hole. I don't have a photo unfortunately to show you, maybe someone else has?.

Cheers

Tony

Bob

Further to Tony's above response, if it is just a matter of draining/refilling the gearbox, this can be done from underneath (though a little awkward - however, as always 'safety first' in securing the car on axle stands etc.!!!

Cheers

Ian